Group Build Entries.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
As it's Lucky's idea for the Group Build, and an excellent one too, I reckon it's up to him to decide what can and can't be done. For instance, the number of entries per person, the dates (of the period concerned), whether Reichs Defence Command only or defending the Reich from other countries, eg France and so on.
My suggestions would be:- Up to one entry per scale per 'contestant', from 1/72nd to 1/24th scales. Dates, late 1943 to May 1945; any Luftwaffe aircraft, anywhere, involved in defending against attacking allied aircraft.
I think it would be helpful if those people intending to enter, could post their name, and which category they put themselves in; for instance, beginner, novice, etc. in order that we all know who's who and what's what. Perhaps Wayne can advise on the categories - i.e. what constitutes 'novice' etc?
That way, we know how many entrants there are and, if individuals are able to include the number of entries, we also know what we are looking for.
Just as a small incentive, I've attached a couple of (small) pics of the paintings I've chosen to put up as a 'prize'; the winner of this one can choose which of the two they would like. (I'll post a pic of the original 1960's 'Frog' kit later.)
The chosen print will be made on A4 card, perhaps larger if my local contacts can do so, and the image will be bordered, with the title printed below. The print will be personally signed, and will be accompanied by 'Historical Notes' explaining the scene, and Certificates of Authenticity and valuation. These latter basically explain that no other print has been made in this issue, and the value, if bought, for insurance purposes. I regret that I am unable to frame this, but it will be despatched, F.O.C., in a stout tube.
I would have provided a Luftwaffe subject, but the originals have all been sold!
The prints are; 'Suddenly Alone', a Spitfire Mk1 during the Battle of Britain. This has not been shown, ever, as the original, oils on canvas, is now the property of my youngest daughter.
'The Bluff', Jim Goodson's 4th FG P47 near the Pas de Calais, 1943. Again, this has not been issued as prints, and only one person has a copy, on A4 card. The original, oils on canvas, is in my personal collection.
looking forward to your comments re the entries etc.
Terry.

Attachments

• aircraft paintings 013.jpg
    aircraft paintings 013.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 246
  • Goodson AC 001.jpg
    Goodson AC 001.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 185
First of all old sport....bl**dy nice paintings! :thumbleft:
Posted this in the other "Group Build" thread, so I'm quoting myself here...:lol:
Well,first of all....timewise for this groupbuild, it was mentioned I think earlier, when I first put this thingy out, that it would cover any kind of machines in the defence of the Reich from the beginning of Operation Bodenplatte January 1 '45 to VE-Day. But as we went along I think it was said to include same as before, any flying machines in the defence of the Reich, but from '43 to VE-Day instead, that way it'd give a wider range of possible prototypes to build, which I think is great and Luftwaffe was pretty much on the defence from then on anyway....
Also, as Dan and Terry's been talking about entering Lord Whoopass' JV44 kite, that should be alright, as it isn't finished. Any else in the same seat can do the same I think, as I feel that it could spur people to finish that certain model that's been collecting dust in the corner, so any other with unfinished kits out there, enter them into the groupbuild as well and get them finished...:lol:
You could also enter as many models as you want and feel that you can finish before VE-Day, May 7th 2009, may it be 1, 2, 3 or more...and in any scale too, 1/144, 1/72, 1/48 etc....even 1/1 if you can afford it! 8) :lol:
Anykind of dioramas would be nice to see as well I think personally, so get in there....would do one myself, but I'm too green yet, so I'll leave that for later and let the pros do their thing, do their stuff....
Those that would like to have a friendly wee competition, let's leave that to the pros as well to make up a few guidelines or "rules" and classes, to get things running smoothly....

Anyone else that have ideas...?
1. Scale, 1/72 to 1/24.
2. Number of entries, some are faster builders than others, sooooo....3 is the magic number they say....is that number alright with you chaps or would you rather make it 4? The old bean put me in a spot here with only one entry in each scale, since I only build in 1/48....:oops:...maybe if I dangle a Guinness, a nice single malt dram or one of the lassies from "Breaking News" thread, we can have that changed? What do you say guv? :lol:
3. Would making it May '43 to VE-Day be alright, making it even two years, or would you rather see later in '43, September, October, suggestions?
4. Since it's from '43, it'll be any machines defending the Reich, wherever they may be based, France, Italy etc....and those with the "bands" of course.

Me, myself and I will build in Beginner category....:oops:

Maybe a name for the group build as well...?

Edit: Here's something more about to read about Reichsverteidigung

Also, this is what Wikipedia have to say..."The Defense of the Reich (German: Reichsverteidigung) was the Nazi Germany campaign to "gain air superiority"in the European Theatre of Operations, particularly against the Allied strategic bombing during World War II. The campaign generally began with the Luftwaffe retreat from France and ended with the defeat of the Luftwaffe during the Battle of the Bulge."

They have the dates as from September 1944-January 1, 1945, so I think that we'll do it from September '43 to VE-Day, May 7th '45...how does that sound chaps?

I think that just about covers everything, Jan. Only thing I would add is, what you pointed out about those building in one scale only, including yourself. In that case, yes, I think as there are 4 major scales, then a total of four models, either one maximum per scale if doing all four scales, or four in one scale, or a combination; for example, 1 in 1/72nd, 2 in 1/48th, 1 in 1/32nd. If the others think that's fair?
As for my entry (possibly entries), I'll abstain from being counted in the votes, I'll just chuck something in for the hell of it!
Now, some pics of the other 'prize'.
This is the original 'Frog' 1/72nd scale kit, circa 1965, which I have had since new! I used to build quite a lot of Frog models, along with Airfix, as they were both predominant in the late 50's and 60's. By today's standards, these kits are very basic, which will be evident when you see the pics, but they were always accurate, and built up into nice replicas. With a bit of work, scratch-building bits, long, long before the days of aftermarket accessories or detailing parts, which weren't even dreamed of then, some very nice models were produced. The original Frog range was vast and, when they folded, or retired, many kits were re-introduced by 'Novo', using the original moulds, I believe in Russia. The quality then was not as good, but generally acceptable, considering how worn the original tools must have become.
An original Frog kit, still in its box, is now considered a collectors item, and some can command rather hefty prices for small bits of plastic!
For those unfamiliar with the Proctor, it was a British, 4 seat, light communications aircraft, and also used as a 3 seat radio trainer. After the war, many found their way onto the civilian register, where they were a rather neat, and relatively spacious, light aircraft. There are still a number around today, and they used to be fairly common at my local airport when I was in my teens.
This kit will go to the model/modeller who the other entrants deem has produced the best model for his category, regardless of scale, out of all categories. Hopefully, this will give everyone a chance!
The 'print' I think should go to the person who has produced the best model overall. How that's going to be judged, is open to suggestions. I don't mind throwing in my two pen'orth, as I'm not 'competing', but it would be better if at least two others would vote also. Perhaps a non-competing mod/admin could be one?
EDIT.Oops, silly me, forgot to attach pics before pressing the 'Go' button! Should be there now!

Attachments

• Gallery models 091.jpg
    Gallery models 091.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 153
  • Gallery models 094.jpg
    Gallery models 094.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 142
  • Gallery models 096.jpg
    Gallery models 096.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 152
  • Gallery models 097.jpg
    Gallery models 097.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 138
I think Lucky was meaning up to four models, either all one scale, one of each scale, two of one scale two of another, just one model, and so on and so on and.....I''m b****y confused, help!

Hello folks,
why we made the time frame so short ?
What about 1.jan.09-08.05.09 , so we have a bit more time.

As i have told it before, i will start with a Me 109 G-14 1/32 nearly OOB, only some fuel and brake lines , no aftermarket stuff.

greets Thomas

Sounds good to me Terry old chap! Timewise though, if anyone think that March 31st is to close and don't want to take part because of that, how about make finishline on the May 7th, VE-Day just for this Defense Of The Reich build? Some has to buy the model, paints, decals etc...before they can start....why is everybody looking at me? :oops:...

As for the number of models entered by each builder/contender, it's up to 4 models in any scale or all in 1 scale...

We still have a few days to iron things out, soooo....any ideas and suggestions are most welcome...8) :thumbleft:

Sounds good to me Terry old chap! Timewise though, if anyone think that March 31st is to close and don't want to take part because of that, how about make finishline on the May 7th, VE-Day just for this Defense Of The Reich build? Some has to buy the model, paints, decals etc...before they can start....why is everybody looking at me? :oops:...

As for the number of models entered by each builder/contender, it's up to 4 models in any scale or all in 1 scale...

We still have a few days to iron things out, soooo....any ideas and suggestions are most welcome...8) :thumbleft:

...remember the KISS principle! "Keep It Simple Stupid"

VE-Day sounds great considering the theme.... still only a little over 4 months!

VE-day sounds good
here's my entry in the "beginners class" i'm just doing it out of the box using one of the decal sheets provided, just gotta wait for it to arrive from the shop !

Attachments

• RV4599.jpg
    RV4599.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 111
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back