Grumman F8F refuelling drama. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T-6

Airman
Jul 30, 2006
Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone has any information on how these aircraft were refuelled. When we fuel ours the filler tube burps fuel all over the place. The only way to avoid this spectaclular event is to fuel very slowly. So, when in service, the options were fuel quickly and cover the fuellers, the aircraft and the ship in fuel, thus wasting fuel and creating a safety hazard or negatively impact operational efficiency by fuelling slooooowly. I don't see either one making the navy smile much.
Anyone have any insights?
Our Hellcat does it too, just not quite so badly.
Thanks!

That's what I was thinking. If the filler tube extended down below the bottom of the aircraft's filler tube, that'd probably do the trick. Our crew chief served aboard a carrier and worked on Bearcats but he remembers nothing special with regards to fuelling equipment or procedures. I was hoping that someone here would have a US Navy training or procedures manual regarding fuelling. There must have been one, given the dire consequences involved if that all went wrong.

On the french a/c (D520, MB152, MS406) there was a cap filler(Técalémit, Rellumit) on the top of tank which allow refuelling under pressure or by gravity. These cap had a pressure limiter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back