Grumman war time JRF-5 interior colors

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jrw1238

Airman
Jul 5, 2010
Leesburg, FL
I have a Signifer 1/48 JRF-5 that I am about ready to start building. The Signifer instructiokn sheet calls out for a light fawn for the interior of the anchor locker, cockpit and passenger area. My initial thought that it would all be interior green. Does anybody have any information on this?

Thanks,

John

Hi Wurger, I have found 3 builds online, one Signifer and two Czech Master kits. The Signifer was in the light fawn, one one of the CM kits was in interior green and the other was in yellow zinc chromate. It gets to be a little confusing.

John

In B&W pictures it is very difficult to recoginize which colour was used. It might be the fawn or the YZC. In fact the yellow zinc chromate colour was a preservative against water as well and it might look like the fawn colour. Of course it is possible the cockpit interior and passenger areas could have been of the interior green but other internal areas weren't double painted rather.

After doing some thinking about all of this I remembered that somewhere I had a book on U.S. Navy. USMC and USCG camoflage during WWII. So I dug back into the archives and found it. The book title is "Navy Air Colors" and here is what I came up with.

On 22 DEcember 1942 a directive standardizing the interior color of aircraft was issued. Aer-E-2574-MVS, F38-2 called out interior green for all U.S. Naval aircraft. So I think I ahve answered my own question.

I have to give Wurger credit for jogging my memory about this book and even then I was not sure it would have interior color call outs.

Thanks to all,
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back