Guns of the 109-K4 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Milosh

Senior Master Sergeant
Aug 10, 2009
Why is it that so many people believe the K-4 had 15mm MG151 cowl guns and a MK103 engine gun?

Because it sounds coool? :lol:

Apparently William Green made a mistake in several of his books back around 1960 and most books that base their numbers/information on his books repeat the mistake.

Admitting that the K-4 used a pair of MG 131s and MK 108 would mean the 109 had not increased it's armament in several years (when ever the MK 108 was first used) and was getting rather under gunned compared to the newest allied fighters.

An honest mistake, wishful thinking, bias, your choice of mix?

Admitting that the K-4 used a pair of MG 131s and MK 108 would mean the 109 had not increased it's armament in several years (when ever the MK 108 was first used) and was getting rather under gunned compared to the newest allied fighters.
What Allied fighter aircraft was able to withstand even a single hit from a 3cm Mk108 mine shell without sustaining major damage?

IMO it's pointless to install a cannon with higher velocity (and therefore greater kill range) without also installing an EZ42 gyro stabilized gunsight. I don't think the EZ42 made it into the Me-109 series.

IMO it's pointless to install a cannon with higher velocity (and therefore greater kill range) without also installing an EZ42 gyro stabilized gunsight. I don't think the EZ42 made it into the Me-109 series.

It wouldn't matter if it had. It didn't work.

Because it sounds coool? :lol:

Apparently William Green made a mistake in several of his books back around 1960 and most books that base their numbers/information on his books repeat the mistake.

An honest mistake, wishful thinking, bias, your choice of mix?

I go with Green making an honest mistake. A 3 can sometimes be mistaken for a 5 and vis-a-versa. But, for other books, especially later books, I would say laziness.

Perhaps this should be a seperate topic but you've peaked my interest. What do we know about the EZ42 gunsight?

According to Wikipedia it worked just fine. Do you have a source to the contrary?

Forsyth's book on JV44. Most of the pilots locked it down and used it like a normal reflex model. Alfred Price (Yep, him again) was under the impression it was due to faulty installation, but it was actually a typical product of late war German industry.

Rather like the K-4 itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back