Had it, loved it, sold it...now what?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The GS850 is too heavy with the shaft drive. I never liked the torque reaction with shaft drive.
The needle bearing GS 4 stroke is a good strong motor. I like the old GT range, they had something...oh yes ...FUN :)
Have to do something about that wet waether braking though.... jeez.

On my bike test all we had to do was ride around the block and perform an emergency stop :)

The biggest death rate is the old git who has a stone age full bike licence, last rode a GT550 in 1978, nothing since, gets some money together and buys a Fireblade...open it up, first corner and splat into Devon's finest stone hedge. At least with a HD you KNOW it doesn't handle :)

I'm looking for a series one Speed Triple now, its a steel frame and a much bigger bike physically.

Three words, Flathead, Knucklehead and Panhead....
One my of pals, sadly no longer with us :(, he owned 3 Indian '47 Chiefs, beautiful ones, a '56 Ford Crown Victoria Skyliner(?), the one with the plastic sunroof and a F-100 pickup....

You know me lads, nothing new in my garage, ugly and lack of soul! ;) :lol:

Only FORDS then Jan :)

Great bikes you mention. I would add 1340 EVO to the list of HD.

I have always admired Laverdas. drooled after the JOTA and only briefly ridden a SFC twin. There are real bikes.:)

Coming back to harsh reality and limited funds such exotic machines are out of reach.
Nice to dream though eh....

Love the classic Ducati 900 SS! Forgot to add that all those Indians were '47's! Stunning bikes so they were!

Then, of course, we have this beauty.....BSA Y13 '36-'38.....

13085_zpsbcbb26f1.jpg

Of course old boy!

Then we have this beauty.....

vincent-black-shadow_zps2819f673.jpg

Saw some guy, have clocked 715,000 miles, on his Vincent Black Prince!

Motorcycles don't have cool names today or do they? :lol:

How about a 52 Vincent Black Lightning. Now that's a cool bike, with a cool name. They even wrote a song about it (Richard Thompon that is, Bluegrass version by the Del McCoury Band).

52 Vincent.JPG

Last edited:
Knew that I forgot a Vincent!!

Also, I have to admit, those '60's and early '70's choppers, some are cool!

Yes some are very nice, others are more like, what were they thinking. I'm starting to like the looks of what is called a Bobber. Google Bobber motorcycle. There are some really nice looking HD and Triumph bobbers shown. I like the simpled down look, no excessive chrome or other stuff.

Very cool ride. Hand change too?

The oil in the frame A65 takes some beating for the longer legged chap :)

Very cool ride. Hand change too?

If you are going to get a hand shifter, you might as well go for the suicide clutch too. I imagine that there are few thrills like one you get when you put both feet down, rev the engine, wave at the pretty girls and -- find yourself screaming like a little girl as the motorcycle decides to launch itself across the intersection.
Now that's living! (Well, at least for a little while)

If you are going to get a hand shifter, you might as well go for the suicide clutch too. I imagine that there are few thrills like one you get when you put both feet down, rev the engine, wave at the pretty girls and -- find yourself screaming like a little girl as the motorcycle decides to launch itself across the intersection.
Now that's living! (Well, at least for a little while)

Great when you hand goes into the rear wheel Nin :)

I'll stick with this....

1691195_f520.jpg

Last edited:
I admit that I have always loved parallel twins. [ I mean motorcycle motors you all - get your minds out of the gutters]
As I was saying, I like parallel twins, especially on "standard" style motorcycles. That pretty much means a variation of the Triumph Bonneville, which may seem a bit tame after a Speed-Triple.
Suzuki has some bikes that they call "standards," but they do not look right to me. Maybe they are the "standards from outer space?"

If you want a traditional-looking motorcycle from Suzuki, you are limited to the TU250-X.
2013-suzuki-tu250x_600x0w.jpg

In order to get your parallel twin, you need to get two of these little suckers and bolt 'em side-by-side. If you are lucky (whoops, you are not him, sorry)..If you are fortunate, the spacing will be right for you to have one cheek resting on each of the seats.

Do not even think about putting three of these things together. That would be plain silly.

Note: If you try to type in 250-X without the hyphen at the end of a sentence, you get a martian. I'm not kiddin', just lookee here: 250X.
Pretty cool, huh?

Last edited:
Hang a minute... the idea of bolting on another cylinder was pioneered by BSA Triumph to make the original Rocket and Trident in he late 1960's.
In typical British fashion what appeared to be a lash up actually worked quite well.
:)

There's only one kind of whisky, unless you drink Irish whiskey! :lol:

Cragganmore please old boy....and we'll take it from there, pour some T-, or C-Stoff for Terrence boy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back