Halifax MkII series I or !A

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Most happy with this silhouet. I will keep you posted on the Air War Memorial construction progress. Thank you all for your support and feedback.

You may be right. I have changed the criteria for searching and found that the JB9** block was the B Mk.II Series I with the Tollerton Aircraft Services Z-type nose Here two shots of the JB908 and JB910 ...

JB908
View attachment 543620
the pic source: 77 Sqdn Aircraft

JB910
View attachment 543621
the pics source: chaddy's Content - Britmodeller.com

But also I found the JB781 that was the first of the JB block made by the EECo factory.

View attachment 543622
the pic source: Oor Wullie

Undoubtedly she had the Z-type nose. It really may indicate that the entire JB*** block assembled by the EECo factory was the B Mk.II Series I with the solid nose similar to the DT*** block that was the earlier batch of Halifax bombers made by the EECo. Below there is the DT807.

View attachment 543623

I see you have posted one of "my"pics above of JB910 (chaddy's content). That photograph was taken in late May 1943 after the mid upper turret had been (re)fitted. I know for a fact that the mid upper turret had been removed (or not fitted) in early May 1943. Note that just near the crew entry door there was also a perspex bister which was a mod, and used by the 'redundant' mid upper gunner as an observation blister for 'below and behind'. No gun was mounted in that position on JB910. This same mod can clearly be seen on the aircraft of other squadrons of the time.

Yes You are right. Thank you for the additional info. :wave:

I see you have posted one of "my"pics above of JB910 (chaddy's content). That photograph was taken in late May 1943 after the mid upper turret had been (re)fitted. I know for a fact that the mid upper turret had been removed (or not fitted) in early May 1943. Note that just near the crew entry door there was also a perspex bister which was a mod, and used by the 'redundant' mid upper gunner as an observation blister for 'below and behind'. No gun was mounted in that position on JB910. This same mod can clearly be seen on the aircraft of other squadrons of the time.
Does this information change anything according the Silhouet Wurger send me?

I'm still trying to find any picture of the JB*** block Halifax but nothing so far. I have found a couple of shots of the JD*** block and all of them look like the B MK.II Series IA with triangle shaped tails.

Here is the : Handley Page Halifax Mark II Series1A, JD206 'DY-T' of No. 102 Squadron RAF. The squadron used also the JB block Halifax bombers (JB864 with code DY_B and JB869 code DY_H )

View attachment 543599
the pic source: File:102 Squadron Halifax at RAF Pocklington WWII IWM CH 10776.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Hi Werger - just stumbled across this thread - JB869 was my father's a/c (J H Barratt - Nav) lost on Dortmund raid in May '43. I've been trying to find a pic for years but to no avail. Is DY-T (shown in pic) the nearest equivalent ?

Hi Werger - just stumbled across this thread - JB869 was my father's a/c (J H Barratt - Nav) lost on Dortmund raid in May '43. I've been trying to find a pic for years but to no avail. Is DY-T (shown in pic) the nearest equivalent ?

Hello Mate,

Welcome to the site.

The nearest equivalent to what ... to the JD206 DY-T or your JB869 ?
If you meant your father's a/c JB869 the closest ones I have found , would be the JB781 and also the JB908 ... both shots posted on the previous page.

JB781
jb781-jpg.jpg

the pic source: Oor Wullie

JB908
jb908-jpg.jpg

Hi Wurger - thank you (on both counts). Yes I'm trying to find out what the front of his Halifax would have looked like and based on the pics you have it looks like his had a Tollerton nose which is interesting. Appreciate your help thanks again. Martin Barratt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back