Happy Birthday to the Boeing 247

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Elvis

Chief Master Sergeant
Nov 24, 2007
Little Norway, U.S.A.
First flown on this day, February 8th in 1933.

Boeing: Historical Snapshot: Model 247 Commercial Transport

Boeing-247D-copy.jpg

Last edited:
Bill Gunston, in one of his many books, mentions one disadvantage of the 247. The wing spars passed through the passenger cabin causing "restricted movement", but I can't see this in a cutaway. Any photos?

Bill Gunston, in one of his many books, mentions one disadvantage of the 247. The wing spars passed through the passenger cabin causing "restricted movement", but I can't see this in a cutaway. Any photos?
I've heard that more than a few times.
Here's the Google image page for "boeing 247 interior" - boeing 247 interior - Google Search
I can't tell where its at, either.
....however...
I did notice that relative to the passenger cabin, the wings sit towards the forward section, so it appears that bump may have been just a little behind the cockpit door.
That's just a guesstimate on my part, though.

Elvis

The first color picture in the above search shows the post #1 aircraft interior looking forward. I've been in this plane (I work for United) and there are two spars passing through the cabin and the upper caps come up to about my knee. I was amazed. The earlier planes didn't have the upper spar caps lowered through the cabin which I can't even imagine. The first two pics (same) in above search show the rear spar (earlier high version) while looking aft and the fifth shows the same perspective with the stew (flight attendant !!!) sitting on the aft spar. I think the spars are immediately behind the first and third rows of seats (two seats are a row - lol) Oh, that horse shoe shaped thing on the spar web is a folding step. Google pic sequence not guaranteed, google is dynamic - lol.

Chuter,

You're referring to this pic?

0301906.jpg

So the spar is what appear to be steps leading up to the cockpit?
What is the blue bar at the bottom of the picture? Appears to be the barrier between First Class and Coach ( ;) ).

Elvis

That the spar cover as indicated?

Cheers SR6. Very narrow aisle as well. Libby can forget about her roller-skates...

spar.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back