Harness and Seatbelt Color

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi There!

Just got my first ever Eduard harness set and boy, am I excited! Talk about some assembly required. I didn't realize so much was involved.

Anyhoo.

There are some excellent threads in here on harness prep and painting and I have read those thoroughly. However, they didn't mention anything about what color to use. I can take some guesses (bad ones, I am pretty new at this) but would like to hear from all of you. What colors do you use when painting harnesses??

Oh, these particular ones are WWII USAAF.

Generally, the USAAF harnesses were a 'Rayon' material, a silver-tinged off-white in colour, which soon got grubby, and looked like a pale, whitish, greyish fawn - if that makes sense?!
Very late war USAAF harnesses were a light Olive colour.

Quick replies, thanks!

These are going in a B model Mustang, circa early-mid '44. Guessing that is later? Just wanted to confirm.

Also, while we are here, I have a follow up question. I took a look at the instructions. If I am understanding correctly Eduard gave me a couple of sets of 100% complete ready to go (other than painting) harnesses and a bunch of buckles with 'thin paper' mentioned a lot in the instructions. I am guessing I have the completed ones with nothing to add and several buckle sets in case I want to build my own? That is the only answer I am coming up with.

The Do 229 is the only kit I have that called for me to actually "make" the seat belts and shoulder harness. Two paper strips 1mm x 15mm and one 1mm x 23mm onto which were threaded the photo-etched buckles. the paper was then painted and the belts attached to the seat

The P51B would have had the 'off-white' harness, with dull metal adjusters and fasteners. The lap pad was brown leather.
the Olive harness didn't start to appear until about early 1945, perhaps very late 1944.

Most kits i've built call for them to be painted tan. The Do 229 has them in Hellblau or light blue which I thought was unusual

That is unusual. Some late Luftwaffe harnesses were a green/olive colour rather than the usual beige but I've never heard of blue. Maybe someone saw something that was not contemporary in a museum aircraft.
Steve

Stona, possibly because the Do 229 never made it into production? Only a few prototypes were constructed I believe

No worries,it's easily done! I was wondering what a Do229 was when I re-read the thread lol.
I don't know who made the harnesses for the Horten's but logically I'd expect them to be a standard system from an external supplier. You just never know though. I'm afraid the ins and outs of german harness supply are beyond me!
Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back