Harrison Radiator Info?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

IdahoRenegade

Airman 1st Class
Oct 2, 2015
Sagle, Idaho
I used to work at the Harrison Radiator Division of General Motors, from 1980-1994 (such a long time ago!). I recall the "aircraft heat exchanger" department, IIRC it shut down around 1990 or so, but didn't know that they build HXs for aircraft during the war. Does anyone have any pictures or other information involving their products, construction type and what planes got them? I saw comments fairly recently about them being in some P-51 variants. Were they aluminum or soldered copper/brass? Would like to learn more. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I used to work at the Harrison Radiator Division of General Motors, from 1980-1994 (such a long time ago!). I recall the "aircraft heat exchanger" department, IIRC it shut down around 1990 or so, but didn't know that they build HXs for aircraft during the war. Does anyone have any pictures or other information involving their products, construction type and what planes got them? I saw comments fairly recently about them being in some P-51 variants. Were they aluminum or soldered copper/brass? Would like to learn more. Thanks in advance.

Try this:

Harrison Division in World War Two

Both Harrison and Modine provided radiators to the U.S. war effort and they used brass and copper (both core and bowls) extensively, which of course, were soldered.
These guys are making the cores: Restoration Stories | Since 1974 Replicore New Zealand You can see the manufacturing process in some of the photos.
Essentially, the cores are made from copper tube that is cut to length, the ends flared to shape, and then bundled and soldered together.

Very cool!
Back in the 80's, I had a '65 GMC pickup (big rear window, long and wide) that had a 4-core Harrison in it.
Thanks for building a great product!
As for your question, here's a whole web page dedicated to Harrison radiators used in aircraft and other things...Harrison Division in World War Two

Last edited:
Attached are images of the radiator mounted in a P-51C and an intercooler for the F6F Hellcat.

Attachments

• P51_BettyJane_Radiator.JPG
    P51_BettyJane_Radiator.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 252
  • F6F_Intercooler.jpg
    F6F_Intercooler.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 271

Users who are viewing this thread

Back