Has Airfix lost it?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

One of the problems that Airfix have is the emergence of top class manufacturers like Eduard as competition. It makes you wonder what they have planned to take that into account. If anything.

I agree Max'. But, that sort of high quality competition has been there since the mid seventies at least. Airfix rose to the challenge, especially with their new range of 1/48th scale kits, which were, for the early '80's, outstanding.
But, as you say, what have they got planned, if anything?
So far, it appears that they are trying to bolster their product range with the wrong 'old' kits, and those few good 'old' kits are way over priced in comparison to the better quality opposition, whilst the 'new' kits, some of which were released then withdrawn, to be eventually re-released, with the really new ones yet to emerge, are far too highly priced for what they are, again, in comparison to the competition.
The sad thing is, the mud has stuck, as it were, and the reputation has been very badly dented, if not totally crushed. From what I've heard here on the forum, and elsewhere, Airfix now are not held in high regard, and, in many cases are thought of as a joke.
I really do hope that the present situation is a damage limitation exercise, and that they have some strong, viable, long-term plans. But, something tells me that they are pinning their hopes, and future, on one or two brand new, high-price kits that, quite frankly, I think will fail, either due to a limited market for one (TSR2), and an initial high price, that has now been grossly increased, and the kit hasnt even been previewed yet, and is 4 months late in it's announced launch.
But enough, I'm tired of the whole thing!

I think that they started on the wrong foot with the TSR2, even if a great looking bird, I had heard never heard about it before Airfix put it up as a future release. I don't know about other people, but I like to build machines that saw service and combat, that has some interesting story to tell etc. If they are to sell prototypes or machines that never came off the blueprints, I personally think that they'd have a lot more success with Luftwaffe '46 secret projects...right?
Had I been the CE of Airfix, I'd rather have put crates like Westland Whirlwind, Handley Page Halifax, Handley Page Hampden, Short Stirling, Bristol Blenheim, Fairey Battle, Boulton Paul Defiant, Fairey Fulmar, Blackburn Firebrand, Fairey Firefly, Fairey Gannet, Blackburn Skua not forgetting the de Havilland Vampire and the Venom....
As you can see, they don't exactly have a short list of machines to pick from, some of these may even exist already as kits, but then in the "multimedia section" with styrene, white metal, resin and etch and by that, cost an arm and a leg to buy and possibly some of your wardrobe...and the way that some of them build....(shock...horror)
Also, many of these wasn't only used by RAF or RN but also by others in the commonwealth.... In that, they wouldn't only interesting to the UK market only, I know for myself that I'd surely buy quite a few of them, if made as an excellent 1/48 kit....(not building in 1/72). How many of these exist already as a decent 1/72 kit?? Anyhoo, I personally think that they picked a turkey with the TSR2 and then raise the price like they did on the 1/24 Mosquito, they better be careful before they lie face down and coughing dirt. This time, people might not care half as much as they did the first time, when they run the risk of disappearing into the history books of model makers....

Shape up Airfix (and Hornby)...!

Just a question to all you guys ,When was the last time you brought an Airfix kit off the shelf?

I think I've only ever brought one and don't plan on buying anymore anytime soon...

Cheers for the answers!

Was just wandering seeing as I know I'm not a fan of their modern kits how the hell they survive,Who the heck is keeping them in buisness???

Got my TSR2s today boy is that a big kit half a metre long not very wide though.

Thanks for the links lucky this aircraft is one of my favs (yet another example of a labour ....up ) this plane should have been in service.

have been chatting to terry (airframes) about airfix's 1/48 hurricane, turns out its 30 years old but costs the same or even more than much newer 1/48 kits, so i wont be buying airfix kits unless they are a real bargain or i cant get the a/c i want in another brand

Makes you wonder if someone at Hornby (since they own Airfix), is taking the p*ss! What's their plans, trying to put prices in the same league as TamiGawa and Eduard and others that's superior in quality, just to make up what they paid for the brand, only to later dump it to the vultures, let them have field day on the corps....
Get a grip folks, we know it and you know it that it won't work in the long run!
Why not put a new kit into production done with NEW tooling and sell it to a decent price, there's PLENTY of interesting subjects in RAF and RN files that fill all the boxes....
I was actually going to buy their Canberra's, now I'm not so sure! :(

i know what you mean Jan, had the hurricane in my hands but the box was sealed so i couldnt look at the sprue's so i put it back not wanting to get burned like i have with my airfix beaufighter and 109 G-6

Haven't read the links yet, but you can bet the main components will be the same, or similar. And these kits were originally announced at least 3 years ago! I really do think that this brand (at the prices being asked for old-tool kits) will go to th wall - b****y shame!

Yes some of the main components are the same but the PR9 had larger wings it looks like they just put a different sprue in for the wings and nose it seems they all have the same body for the different marks i had the B1/8 and i have the PR9 they are both very similar to look at .BB

The kits were pegged up on the display wall, packed in polythene bags, with a folded paper header label, with the instructions printed inside this.

As a kid I use to save up the required 79c, mount the treadly and wheel down to the local Newsagent for a gander at the wire rotisserie holding the Airfix kits and eventually pick one.

Now brace yourself...

Home I sped and carefully removed the staple...and tossed the polythene bag and the kit...into the bin.

All I wanted was that folded paper header which was then glued into a scrapbook. And believe it or not, I still have that scrapbook...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back