Hasegawa 1/32 Bf109 G-6, Oblt. Schilling (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

adamant365

Recruit
Feb 16, 2009
Kentucky
Hello All,

I have started working on Hasegawa's very nice 1/32 Bf109 G-6. I purchased the Eagle Cals (#38) and have decided on Oblt. Wilhelm Schilling's "Yellow 1" of 9/JG54. I have one question about this particular aircraft. Does anyone know if this airframe (W. Nr. 440141...if that helps) had the "pressurization bulge" on the starboard side engine cowling? I haven't found any helpful photos, since it seems that 90% of the G-6 pictures I've found have been looking at the supercharger intake side. The G-6's "good side" must have been deemed to be the port side...or maybe it's because I'm trying to find a port side shot...

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.

Adam

Nevermind....I saw a drawing from the Kagero Bf-109 book that showed both sides. It was in another thread about the build of Schilling's G-6. I swear that wasn't there before....

Now, I'm not familiar with the Kagero books. Can I be reasonably certain that what is depicted there is accurate?? Thanks.

Adam

Attachments

• Bf109G6 bulge.jpg
    Bf109G6 bulge.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 204
  • schill_104.jpg
    schill_104.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 255
  • Bf109G6_Schilling_yellow1_.jpg
    Bf109G6_Schilling_yellow1_.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 197
  • Bf109-G6-OberleutnatWilhelmSchillin_.jpg
    Bf109-G6-OberleutnatWilhelmSchillin_.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 157
Wow, thanks for all the replies.

@Wurger:

I was actually referring to the extra small bulge that extends low and forward from the gun housing cover "bulge" on the starboard side only. From what I've read, this was an extension for the pressurization system on the G-5. Since that starboard gun housing cover was made in a much higher quantity than the number of G-5's produced, it was applied to the G-6's, even though they weren't (for the most part) pressurized. Anyway, looking at the thread and the pictures Wayne Little posted from the Kagero book, that accessory bulge is NOT present.

Thanks for all the help. I will be progressing very slowly on this build as it has been years (>10) since I built anything and I currently have no real workspace until my wife (key words) and I buy a house later this coming summer. I may post some progress shots on that thread anyway.

Thanks again!

Adam

I've attached a picture of what I was talking about...

Was Schilling's G-6 like "A" or "B".

That's all.

Adam

Attachments

• Copiedecapots109G02.jpg
    Copiedecapots109G02.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 162
Ok Adam.Now I can see this.I think the plane could have been the standard G-6 one.Its werk nummer says it was plane of quite late series so it is possible that there wasn't the bulge.

Rather no Dan.Aircraft with AS engine had different cowling like in the drawing.G-14 with the MG bulges like G-5 and G-6 had the small one on the starboard indeed.

Attachments

• G-5 and G-6 AS engine.jpg
    G-5 and G-6 AS engine.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 163
@lesofprimus:

From what I know (< a little), and the pictures I've seen, the AS version of the Gustav had no gun housing bulges on either side. Instead they had a streamlined forward fuselage with more gradual lines and with the gun troughs moved slightly forward. I'm also under the impression that the "extra" bulge on the stb. side made a varied appearance. By that I mean that when the starboard gun housing was needed to complete a 109, they used what was available. Since in many cases, what was available was the G-5 housing and since it fit on the G-6 with no problem, it was used. Since the G-5 was pressurized, it had the additional smaller bulge to accomodate the accessory drives for the pressurization system.

As for the G-14 the AS thing holds true there. As for which G-14's had the "extra bulge," that would take a bit more research.

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back