Hastings Spitfire (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

John_K

Recruit
Aug 5, 2008
www.djk-aviation.co.uk
Has anyone got information, or can point me in the right direction, to find out more about a Spitfire that was 'sponsored' by the people of Hastings UK? Seemingly they raised enough money to purchase a Spitfire, but I can't find any info on it, even the local museum has no real info such as mark, squadron or its fate. Anyone out there can help?

Hastings Mk Ia P7067. Presented by Hastings Spitfire Fund with a donation of £5,000. TOC 24 MU Ternhill 7/2/1941. Allotted to 53 OTU Llandow9/8/41 but diverted to 303 (Polish) Squadron at Speke on the same day. Coded RF*T. On 6/10/41 303 Squadron returned to Northolt leaving their aircraft behind for the incoming 306 (Polish) Squadron. 306 Squadron moved out 11/12/41 and R7067 was handed over to 308 (Polish) Squadron at Woodvale to continue with convoy patrols. On 31/12/41 it was passed to the Station Flight at Speke to be used for weather reconnaissance until 27/2/42 when it was sent for maintenance and repair to the AST at Hamble and allocated to 33 MU Lyneham 14/5/42. Placed in open storage at 45 Satellite Landing Ground, Townsend from 26/6/42 until recalled to 33 MU three days later. Then to 57 OUT at Eshott on 31/12/42. On 7/7/43 Sgt H.Smith collided mid-air with R6813 and force-landed one mile south-east of Blagdon Hall, near Morpeth, Cat B damage. Repaired by Scottish Aviation at Prestwick from 14/10/43, awaited collection 16/10/43. Handed over to 39 MU Colerne 26/10/43 allocated 53 OUT Llandow. No details available of Cat E accident 11/8/44 which caused R7067 to be SOC.

I don't think there are any when it was with the Polish squadrons. Every presentation aircraft was photographed at the facory after the presentation name was applied. A copy was then sent to the donors. Sometimes they were published in the local press. Try the Hastings local papers for 1941. Local studies section of the library should be able to help.

Hi I'm from Hastings I have a book on Hastings in ww2. With pictures of the town after bombings, where the bombs drop and there is a bit about Hastings and the spitfire. Il dig it out and have a look for info for you. Although I no the guy did add a lot of info so don't no if there will be any new info

Hi I'm from Hastings I have a book on Hastings in ww2. With pictures of the town after bombings, where the bombs drop and there is a bit about Hastings and the spitfire. Il dig it out and have a look for info for you. Although I no the guy did add a lot of info so don't no if there will be any new info
Last post is 12 years ago. Not a big change on a reply i fear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back