Hawker Seafury

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very nice indeed. I don't know how you are planning to weather your model but it gives me an excuse to post a picture that perfectly illustrates the typical exhaust stain of the Sea Fury,something very often mis-represented!
Picture taken by my father from his aircraft of squadron mates from 801 Sqn. They are on their way to Bardufoss (Norway),September 1954.

801Norway.gif

And another one showing that tricky exhaust area to good effect.

153Bardufoss-1.gif

My dad is no longer with us but I still have a model he made of his Sea Fury. There is much debate about RN wheel wells but he did them yellow. I guess it's meant to be ZC Yellow. He also did a black spinner as in the photos above,though I have pictures taken a little earlier in Malta and the spinners are all EDSG.

Cheers
Steve

It's looking greaaaaat, as the tiger would say! Alclad! I am building a polished P-51D, Merlin's Magic and want to finish it as the plane looks, many polishing man hours. Since I see you using Alclad, could you advise me to use "chrome" or "polished" as the plane is highly polished. cheers, bill

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 103
Hi bill Alclad is very easy to use first a gloss black base coat (the smoother the better ) then the chrome or polished alluminium but build these up in very light coats till you get the shine you require i would say use chrome and polished aluminium as it would give the effect of different panels on the plane.BB

Here,s some more pics as you can see she,s coming on :D
sea1.jpg

sea2.jpg

sea3.jpg

sea4.jpg
excuse the mess in the last pic

I'm glad you like them and find them of some use. I've only got one other picture scanned on this computer,I hope BB won't mind me posting it on his thread. It's 801 Sqn again, on the way to Malta aboard H.M.S. Glory and fairly obviously at Gibraltar. This is around 9th November 1953 as on that day my father's log has the following entries.
"65deg DB ,Division Drill,then to Gibraltar"
And later
"Gibraltar to Glory"
( DB...Dive bombing )
Nice weather and shiny aircraft but you can see some interesting weathering on the propellers.

801gibraltar.gif

Steve

I don,t mind one bit Steve its fantastic to see a piece of little covered history many thanks mate.BB

BB thanks for that, you've got me on the right track for MM. You have one terrific looking piece there. I hope Merlin looks half as good. cheers, Bill

Can anybody help me with the colour of the u/c bay on the sea fury thanks.BB

Can anybody help me with the colour of the u/c bay on the sea fury thanks.BB

You are going to get conflicting answers! My dad did them a version of ZC Yellow on a model he built in the' 1970s. This was backed up by an ex curator of the FAA museum who worked on Furies during the Korean war who stated that the wells,wing folds,etc were ZC yellow at that time. My mother who would have seen the underside more often than the top also recalled a yellow colour,mind you she described Sky as "dirty white" and had convinced herself there were two upper colours so........
This all applies to RN aircraft,I've no idea what the Aussies,Canadians,etc did to theirs.
Others are going to suggest interior grey/green,aluminium and underside colours.
Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back