Hawker Tempest V production batches

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wirbelwind

Airman
Sep 8, 2009
I'm looking at the two production batches for the Hawker Tempest V. This aircraft has gone through a lot of changes throughout the two batches marked by the serial numbers JNxxx (series 1) and EJxxx (series 2). Among the many changes included the spar structure.

Here's something on the Tempest V's spar structure taken from Wikipedia...

Initially, Tempest Vs used a built-up rear spar pick-up/bulkhead assembly (just behind the cockpit) which was adapted from the Typhoon. Small blisters on the upper rear wing root fairing covered the securing bolts. This was later changed to a new forged, lightweight assembly which connected to new spar booms: the upper wing root blisters were replaced by small "teardrop" fairings under the wings.

The new spar structure also allowed the wings to carry up to 2,000 lb (907 kg) of external stores. Also developed specifically for the Tempest by Hawker was a streamlined 45 gal (205 l) "drop tank" and carrier fairing; the redesigned wing incorporated the plumbing for these tanks, one to each wing.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Tempest#Tempest_Mark_V

When exactly did the change in the spar structure first appear?

Also in the second paragraph, a "redesigned wing" is mentioned. When did this change occur? I thought that all Tempest V's used the exact same airfoil/wing shape.

Last edited:
Far as I know without checking, the changes occured from the start of the second production batch. The mention of 'new wing' I think refers to the mods to the rear spar and pick-up points. the general arrangement (of the wing) remaining the same.
In general, the series ii aircraft can be outwardly distinguished by the lack of protruding cannon barrels, the 'new' wing having the cannon completely enclosed, with the facility of removing them from the trailing edge.

So apart from the changes to the rear spar and pick-up points, the thickness and shape of the wing itself remained the exact same for all Tempest V's, correct?

Last edited:
I believe the aerofoil section remained the same, but the forged spar instead of fabricated speeded up production and reduced man hours in construction!

there were also changes to engine specs and the cannons as mentioned, evolution in design much like most aircraft!

What about the clipped wings? Did all Tempests V's have them or was this something that was introduced later on?

I've tried looking for some Tempest V photos, and there are some in which I can clearly make out the clipped wing, while in others I can't. There are also some Tempest V models that haven't got clipped wings.

Last edited:
Hawker-Tempests.
Hawker-Tempests..jpg

Annular Radiator

Napiers spent a great deal of time researching and developing a range of solutions. The requirement was to allow sufficient airflow across the radiator with adjustment to correctly regulate the cooling. This increased as the engine Series was developed and required extra cooling.

The solution was to create an annular radiator allowing air to pass through the spinner of the aircraft. As can be seen in the images several types of annular radiator were tested and developed. In reality very few Sabre engined aircraft actually received this modification die to the war ending. The unique Vickers Warwick HG248 was the only twin engined Sabre aircraft and it had annular radiators.

Greg, why would a radial engine a/c require radiators?

Duuuhhhh ... oil cooler. Quite asymmetric, in fact.

One of my favorite fighter aircraft, and definitely started out as a lighter weight Typhoon/Tempest development. A Tempest V was normally loaded out fully at 11,500 lbs. A Typhoon was basically the same, but could be loaded for maximum at 13,250 lbs.

The Sea Fury could be loaded heavier, but not until later versions, when everyone KNEW they weren't first-line fighters because the jets were. As a piston fighter, they would have been lighter when launched.

I am told that the fuselage construction of the Fury/Sea Fury was different to the Tempest and Typhoon, in that it used a monocque construction, rather than the tube frame construction of the earlier models.

The outer wing panels were the only items carried over.

Can anybody confirm this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back