He 100 3 km record run speeds (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

WJPearce

Airman 1st Class
Feb 4, 2010
oldmachinepress.com
Hello,

My apologies if this is not the right spot on the forum for this.

Does anyone know the speeds for the individual runs Hans Dieterle flew in the He 100 when he set the 3 km speed record of 463.919 mph (746.606 km/h) on 30 March 1939?

Thank you,

WJP

I don't know. I am not that knowledgeable on the He 100. But the Bf 109 was originally selected over the He 112. The He 100 was a secret "redesign" of the 112 to bring it up to the then standards. The He 100 had issues especially with the evaporative cooling on the early versions. I don't think one can claim the decision against the He 100 was 100% political, but I have no clue how much politics played in the decision, if at all.

This site might answer your question.
Heinkel HE 100

Thanks,

I don't know. I am not that knowledgeable on the He 100. But the Bf 109 was originally selected over the He 112. The He 100 was a secret "redesign" of the 112 to bring it up to the then standards. The He 100 had issues especially with the evaporative cooling on the early versions. I don't think one can claim the decision against the He 100 was 100% political, but I have no clue how much politics played in the decision, if at all.

This site might answer your question.
Heinkel HE 100

Thanks,

Sorry, got the He100 confused with the He112. If I recall correctly,The Planes of Fame museum in Chino, California has a beautiful replica of the He100. I think the He100 looks a little like a better looking Macchi.

Last edited:
Again, I'm no expert, but I believe the He 112 was clearly beaten in every way except ground handling by the Bf 109. If there were any political decisions to reject the He 112 I think they were unwarranted because the plane's performance was inferior to its rival.

Plane of Fame in Chino actually has a replica of the He 100. I'm not sure if there are any replicas of the He 112.

He 100 at PoF in Chino, CA (photo not mine):
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m313/GregPascal/He_100D_Num_1_edited-1.jpg
He_100D_Num_1_edited-1.jpg

"Heinkel He 100 / 112" by R.S. Hirsch and Uwe Feist, Aero Publications......

"On March 31, 1939 in the early morning, the He 100V-8 was rolled out at Oranienburg and preparations were started for the big record. The V-8 had the same smaller wing of the V-3 but the windshiled had been elongated and cut down for more streamlining. The chin scoop for the oil cooler could be plainly noticed. The horizontal was a small amount lower also. It looked as if this plane was a record maker...... Then at 5:15pm Hans climbed into the cockpit and the engine was started soon after. At 5:23 pm Dieterle took off. All was ready and he passed the starting tower at 5:25pm. At 5:32pm he had passed the course four times. He was airbourne just 13 minutes and when he landed at 5:36pm, Germany held the absolute world speed record. First estimates were that he reached 445.5 mph to 453.6 mph but when the final calculations of the FAI were in , it was established the following morning that the new world record was 463.92 mph."

That He-100 replica is cool. Are there any pictures taken in a more military setting such as on an airfield runway? Might make nice wallpaper for my PC. 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back