HE 111 bomb bay spoilers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Debs

Recruit
Jul 23, 2013
Hi - come across a photo of an HE 111P while being loaded - the photo showed bomb bay spoilers (see attached photo). I've not come across them before and there seems to be very little information on them. Does anyone know how big they were and also if they were on any other German aircraft. Any help will be gratefully received.

Attachments

• HE 111P showing spoilers.png
    HE 111P showing spoilers.png
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,035
Thanks for your reply - interesting as I wasn't aware of any bombers having these, however I was hoping someone would have specific info on the HE 111

There doesn't seem to be much info around, apart from that photo and some sketches. An approximate size can be gauged by scaling from the known dimensions of the bomb bay doors, which will give a rough width and height.

Earlier versions did not have the spoilers. I would hazard a guess that they had less to do with controlling airflow around the "bomb bay", which was a series of vertical cells, and more to do with the way the bombs interacted with the slipstream as they fell tail first and vertically from the aircraft.
Cheers
Steve

The Ju-88 had forced air in bay I assume to push the bombs past the boundary, but in practice they where never used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back