Head of F-35 programme fired by Pentagon

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It was in our papers a couple of days ago. Does not look good for an already troubled development program. I sure hope things work out with this bird. My country's national security is resting on it......

The ever increasing cost of these manned aircraft is just another nail in the coffin for the roles they are expected to perform.

Drones and RPV's is the future, and the less we pay for manned AC, the better we will be.

They're looking for a three star to take the place of the two-star (The original program head was a 1 star...)

They'll probably assign the job to a some hapless admiral. You know, the guys with a tradition of dutifully going down with their ship...

JL

All in a days work - the threat of withholding progress payments, typical of any new aircraft program.

Over 600 Mil is a lot of cash - Lockheed will pull it out

they did a bit of an editorial on the national broadcast news today. They got a defence analyst on the show, who basically said the latest developments were actually a good thing, will force the contractors to extract the digit. also said that for a project as complex as the JSF, this was quite normal and should be expected.

Whatever happens, Australia needs a replacement for its ageing F-18s, as well as the already retired F-111s. Up to 100 aircraft, each costing about $100 million are at stake. we have already invested moree than 5 billion into the development work. The government is still very confident, but doubt is starting to creep in.

Our air superiority over our neighbours has been our ace since the end of WWII

600 mil?! Damn, that is pretty expensive.

Well, at least the RAAF has F-18s, we only have prop-driven OV-10s and still use the old yet reliable UH-1. No advance weapons or anything. The last jet we used was the F-5 Freedom Fighter.

-Arlo

Last edited:
All in a days work - the threat of withholding progress payments, typical of any new aircraft program.

Over 600 Mil is a lot of cash - Lockheed will pull it out

Looks like they are already trying. I understand that they are going to maintain the production rate even if the US reduce the number purchased to keep the unit costs down and encourage exports.
Financially its a gutsy move.

Looks like they are already trying. I understand that they are going to maintain the production rate even if the US reduce the number purchased to keep the unit costs down and encourage exports.
Financially its a gutsy move.

Yeah, that's a real gutsy move. Saying that you'll be giving away airplanes because you'll be spittin'em out faster than customers can take'em, when you can't even get half the planes you have built out of the hanger and off the ground. :rolleyes:

And speaking of finances, here's what those who haven't swallowed the Lockmart kool-aid think about that:

StreetInsider.com - Goldman Sachs Added Lockheed Martin (LMT) to its Conviction Sell List

JL

Well, at least the RAAF has F-18s, we only have prop-driven OV-10s and still use the old yet reliable UH-1. No advance weapons or anything. The last jet we used was the F-5 Freedom Fighter.

-Arlo

Its the Indonesians and the Malays that are challenging us in the region. There is no chance of any conflict at the moment, but there is issues of force projection, influence and inherent capability at stake.

To give some perspective to this, the malaysians are now deploying SU-37s I believe

600 mil?! Damn, that is pretty expensive.

-Arlo

You should get some F-16s, they still make them and they are fairly cheap (as these things go).

Yeah, that's a real gutsy move. Saying that you'll be giving away airplanes because you'll be spittin'em out faster than customers can take'em, when you can't even get half the planes you have built out of the hanger and off the ground. :rolleyes:

And speaking of finances, here's what those who haven't swallowed the Lockmart kool-aid think about that:

StreetInsider.com - Goldman Sachs Added Lockheed Martin (LMT) to its Conviction Sell List

JL

Gates also said that he thought the program was now on solid ground. "I would say there are no insurmountable problems, technological or otherwise, with the F-35," he said. "We are in a position to move forward with this program in a realistic way."

Any time you have a technologically advanced aircraft, there are going to be issues. If every program got scrapped for technical problems, we'd probably still be flying biplanes.

JL

And this is not the first time lockheed or any other major aircraft manufacturer been put in this situation. Do you relize that Lockheed was almost bankrupt in the early 70s even though it had tons of work? Stock fell to just over $2.00 a share. In 8 years with was back to $40 a share and I know many former employees who bought the stock and retired very happily.

Butter, untill you start seeing termantion noticices or out right cancellation of the program, you don't have a leg to sand on. In the mean time

Even as they faulted President Obama for not cutting deeply enough in the budget he sent to Congress this week, Republicans and Democrats on Capitol Hill laid the groundwork Tuesday for all-out fights to try to add back more spending on defense and domestic priorities — and the administration already is warning of vetoes if some lines are crossed

"Republicans said Mr. Obama's proposed cuts to the C-17 transport aircraft and last year's decision to end the F-22 Raptor will have to be revisited in light of new threats and unmet defense needs"

Obama critics mobilize to restore spending cuts - Washington Times

and while this is happening the F-22's MC rate is rising into the 70s'. But at the same time...

"only two thirds of the service's aging fleet is available to go up in the air at any time. For the F-15s and F-16s, the mission-capable rate stands at only 74 and 76 percent respectively. "

Gray Hairs: America's Aging Air Force | Columns | theTrumpet.com by the Philadelphia Church of God

Amd note the date of the article.....

$600m is pretty small cash for the Defence Industry. Compared to the 7bn euros that Airbus might get done over for the A400M...

we have already invested moree than 5 billion into the development work

Are you sure about that? A $5bn dollar investment from Australia would make them the largest partner on JSF by far, it's about twice the UK contribution, only I haven't seen much evidence of heavy Australian involvement.

There are still plenty of years before the IOC date for F-35 costs to increase further...

$600m is pretty small cash for the Defence Industry....
It is - but it's not for a specific program like the F-35. Program managers are responsible to ensure that progress payments based on performance arrive on time. I work on a DoD contract that awards and extra year on the contract based on the performance of the previous year. Be rest assured that if we were not awarded an add-on year based on poor performance from the previous year, myself along with my boss and the two other managers who run our contract would be terminated immediately.

You should get some F-16s, they still make them and they are fairly cheap (as these things go).

Our Government once received an offer for F-16s from Pakistan (Though they were missing some electronic parts), Israeli Kfirs, MiGs and several Chinese aircraft, and the PAF considered buying the F/A-18 but in today's flailing economy, orders for the Hornet are put on hold.

Are you sure about that? A $5bn dollar investment from Australia would make them the largest partner on JSF by far, it's about twice the UK contribution, only I haven't seen much evidence of heavy Australian involvement.

There are still plenty of years before the IOC date for F-35 costs to increase further...

I doubt the Australian share in the project is larger than britains, but we have invested heavily nevertheless. We are catergorised as a "level 3" partner, whatever that is. Several companies have won contracts for componentry manufacture, and there are several new plants under construction for the very purpose.

This is a recent newspaper article, which suggests a 3.2 Billion investment to date. However that is exclusive of the domestic infrastructure incentives being put up by the Australian taxpayer.

We are by no means a major player in this venture, but our investment is nevertheless substantial

Advance purchase could well put Defence out on a wing | The Australian

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back