Heinkel He 177 excavation in UK

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sep 10, 2011
Hertfordshire in UK
Hello all, thought Id add this as my first thread....a few weeks back I excavated a Heinkel He 177 in the UK. I think this was the first organised excavation to take place of this type in UK. this Heinkel was shot down on 18-19th April 1944 by a Mosquito night fighter from 410 Squadron...in 2010 the Mosquito Navigators family who reside in New Zealand contacted me and supplied me with rare 1944 photographs of the Heinkel crash site invaluable for locating precise point of crash. Metal detecting located the precise point...sadly main wreckage had come down in a flat spin and hardly impacted ground at all..however plexiglas, 13mm cannon shell cases, airframe and rubber components were all located and are currently undergoing conservation. If anyone would like to view the excavation a short film is on Youtube on the following link. Hope you enjoy it

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS3P-AqEZqY

Kind regards Jules

Thanks for the positive comments everyone. I will try to be as frequent a visitor as I can be here as Ive got quite abit of stuff to post. However like many of us am well busy.......in my case writing books and magazine articles, apart from being an aviation "digger" Im also a metal detectorist and a Dad so have achieved a busy life.
Cheers to you all....Jules

Users who are viewing this thread

Back