Heinkel He 70 G-1 “Blitz” 1/72nd Revell ex Matchbox (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
Heinkel He 70 G-1 "Blitz"
User name: T Bolt
Name: Glenn
Kit: Revell Heinkel He 70 G-1 "Blitz"
Scale: 1/72th.

This is more of a 'Pick-up from an aborted start to finish build'. I've decided to try to finish some of the many partially started kits I have laying around.
I started this kit a number of years ago, gluing the fuselage together and smoothing out all the joints, then I did the same for the wings and attached them to the fuselage only to see that the fuselage joints I had spent so much time on had sunken in. I had filled and smoothed them too soon after gluing them together. Disgusted I put it on the shelf over my work bench where it had been staring down at me for years.
The other day I took it down and decided to finish it. The work that had been done was only a few days worth although it looks like more. There is really not much to the kit, just a basic interior which I didn't spend much time with as it won't be seen. The first thing I must do is fix all the sunken joints and a cracked seem on one of the wings, then I'll attack the very ugly wing to fuselage joints shown in the close-ups.
Should have something to show in a day or too.

PC126071.JPG
PC126073.JPG
PC126075.JPG
PC126077.JPG
PC126078.JPG
PC126080.JPG
PC126082.JPG
PC126084.JPG
PC126087.JPG
PC126088.JPG
PC126089.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Glenn. A local fellow modeler built this kit. When ready to paint, it looked as if it was made of putty. I hope you won't put it back on the shelf :)

Hi Glenn. A local fellow modeler built this kit. When ready to paint, it looked as if it was made of putty. I hope you won't put it back on the shelf :)
No, I knew that coming in. I don't use putty, instead I use thick CA glue. I was up late last night and finished all the joints above the wing, saving those big ugly ones underneath for later. Looks pretty good so far. Pictures later.

Interesting subject! Hope you manage to work this into something nice! I've been thinking about doing one as well, however I do intend to go with the ICM kit (which for only a few quid more seems to offer a lot more modern en better detailed) than this ancient Matchbox kit, althought it lacks the possibility to build a radial engined version. Any special color schemes you have in mind for this build? I've seen quite a few very interesting and wonderful looking schemes for it.

More filling and sanding. Nothing worth taking a picture of until I shoot some primer on it. Maybe tonight.

Interesting subject! Hope you manage to work this into something nice! I've been thinking about doing one as well, however I do intend to go with the ICM kit (which for only a few quid more seems to offer a lot more modern en better detailed) than this ancient Matchbox kit, althought it lacks the possibility to build a radial engined version. Any special color schemes you have in mind for this build? I've seen quite a few very interesting and wonderful looking schemes for it.
I started this kit some time ago and I don't think the ICM kit was around yet. I love the mid-late '30s Lufthansa colors, so will be doing that (see pricture below) I already have a Ju52 done up like that JU-52 Lufthansa Italeri 1/72 and have a He-111 with the Lufthansa decals in my stash. The 3 should look good on the shelf lined up next to each other.

Heinkel_Blitz_pic.jpg

Last edited:
I finished up all the joints, and had a close look at the finish in the reflection of my work light. The joints seemed pretty good, but the surface of the wings didn't look smooth enough for a natural metal finish and needed a light sanding. The problem was that the wings are covered with very delicate raised panel lines. I wet sanded very lightly with 1000 grit sand paper and the lines pretty much disappeared. I have never re-scribed panel lines on an entire model, but this seemed the time to try. About half way through I decided that I was crazy for attempting this for the first time on a model with natural metal finish, but it seemed to go OK. I guess we'll see when the silver goes on. Here's what it looked like when I finished. The white blob in the windows is not quite Kristle Klear I put there th mask them shut.

PC146091.JPG
PC146092.JPG
PC146093.JPG
PC146094.JPG
PC146095.JPG

Last edited:
Good stuff Glenn. You might have problems masking the Kristal klear. I normally apply this after painting the model, as any masking can 'lift' the set KK, and any clear coat will fog it normally.

No time to work on modeling tonight. Too long of a list from SWMBO

Good stuff Glenn. You might have problems masking the Kristal klear. I normally apply this after painting the model, as any masking can 'lift' the set KK, and any clear coat will fog it normally.
The Kristle Klear that's on now is only acting as a mask to keep the paint out of the interior. When the painting is done I'll remove it and make the windows out of more Kristle Klear.

Last edited:
I've been doing it for years. Pops right out with maybe a little clean-up scraping with the backside of a hobby knife.

I wasn't at all happy with what they gave me for the radiator so I scratch-built one out of thin plastic card and fine mesh.

PC146097.JPG
PC146099.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice T Bolt. If I had to deal with the "more air than plastic" fit, I'm pretty sure I would have brought out the old Flak hammer and punished the model right then and there. I also seem to learn something from almost every thread I read,ie, Kristal Klear as a mask.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back