Hello from a newby with family interest in aviation history.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

btaylor

Recruit
Dec 14, 2014
Drumheller
Hi all
Just like to say hello and slink back into obscurity.
My grandfather Leslie Martin was an experimental engineer with RR, Napier among others, and deeply involved in development of engines during WW2 and also had an interesting career before that, was the young engineer who should have been on the doomed Saint Raphael with Capt. Leslie Hamilton, Lt.-Col. Frederick Minchin and Lady Anne Savile, the Princess Lowenstein-Wertheim, which disappeared in 1927.
He had a hand written letter from Winston Churchill thanking him for his efforts in the aftermath of the war, which was sadly lost along with a box of memorabilia many years ago.

He was the engineer who accompanied the Hawker Hart out to (then) Persia, travelling back and forth on the Orient Express.
Also he was the engineer who went out the Germany with the Kestrel which was fitted into the Heinkel 70 and worked with Ronnie Harker.

I believe my grandfather to have been the chief experimental engineer at either Napier or Rolls Royce but am eager to clarify details of what he was working on. We think that he was involved in development of the Merlin, Griffon, Sabre and Kestrel engines but also had worked for Napier.

Any help shedding light on his work would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Brent Taylor

Welcome from another Canuck Brent and a big
1a (2).png
to your grandfather.

Geo

Ah, you've made it to God's country. Where in Alberta are you? If you'er interested, I happen to be having a small hand in helping to get a Merlin 29 back to running condition. Alas no Napiers in the back shed.

I'm in Drumheller, here we're more likely to try and reconstruct a dinosaur than a Merlin. I'm always interested in hearing a Merlin though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back