Hello from another new chap! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Julian_S

Airman
Nov 28, 2011
Hello everyone, I've been reading this forum for a few months now and have decided it's time to enter!

I found this forum by chance; as a fairly regular air show spectator I went to the Flying Legends show at Duxford on the Saturday. While watching some you tube clips on the Sunday evening I learned about the mid-air collision and while using google to try and find out more it came up with ww2aircraftnet. It was fantastic the learn that everyone survived but I guess the Mustang is only fit for scrap?:cry:

Anyway, I do have a question: As a 'once in a lifetime' experience I would really love to have a ride in a WW2 fighter of some description. What options do I have? I'm aware of Stallion 51 in Kissimmee, are there any other establishments or individuals that offer similar experiences?

I'm in the UK, I'll have to try and change my flag!

Cheers Julian.

Welcome to the forum!

I can't say about what happens on the other side of the Pond, but on the East Coast here, we have WWII Weekend in Reading, PA that offers rides in everything from B-17s to P-51s. But at a cost!!! I think its close to $3000 for a Mustang ride.

Looks like they only have a Stearman for 2012 so far..

http://www.maam.org/wwii/ww2_rides_n2s.htm

Last edited:
Hi Julian and welcome to the family. In short, if want to go upstairs in a Warbird, forget the UK / Europe...way too bl**dy pricey.

In fact its cheaper for me to fly to the States, have a 40 minute ride in a B-17, come back home.... and still do it cheaper than an hour in a Harvard / T6 here in the UK !. I've two trips in '17's, one in a '25, I've also done the Stearman and I've not paid more than £200.00 for any of them !

To get the best experience, got to a big...nope.... a really big show in the USA and then have a ride. Trust me, you wont forget one single moment of it !!. This is one my my flights in 'Fuddy Duddy'.. http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/b-17-fuddy-duddy-8201-3.html ...post number 41

The CAF do rides in various fighters, details on their website.

c0140.gif

G'day Julian, greeting from down under glad to have you join us.

Thanks for the replies and advice, it rather looks like the USA is going to be the best bet for a ride - I'm not surprised by this as general aviation is very expensive in the UK. I know this sort of thing is expensive, but as a 'once only' experience it's got to be good value.

I live close to Manchester Airport so I have the easy option of a daily service to Orlando on a Virgin 747. I think I'm right in thinking Florida weather is really mild in winter so I can have a few days over there to escape the endless gales and rain in the UK. I'll leave the wife back home in charge of the dogs!

Regards Julian.

The Collings foundation tours all over the U.S. and they have a B-17, B-24, B-25, and a P-51. If you can find where she is at, the world's only flying B-29, Fifi, offers rides too. Fifi is based at the Cavanaugh Flight museum in Addison, Texas which is just north of Dallas. Cost for these rides will vary between $450 and $3,000 just depending on the plane and where you sit in the bombers. Many flight museums offer rides in Stearmans or AT-6 Texans at a much reduced cost.

Welcome to the forum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back