Hello from the deserts of Arizona (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

AZPhilip

Recruit
Dec 14, 2012
Yuma,AZ
Hello To All
Well I just figured I would say Hi to everybody here. You can tell by the username that my name is Phil and I live in the lower southwest corner of the State of Arizona, In the City of Yuma. I have been with or worked for the United States Marine Corps for the past 33 years in the aviation field and I am now in the Civil service and work at the Marine Corps Air Station here as a Air traffic Control maintenance Tech. I work on/certify the radio's, radar and the Navigational aides used to support operations at the airfield here that is used by both military and civilian aircraft.
My interest came from my research about my Uncle, who was a TSgt. in the USAAF during WW2. He was attached to the 443rd sub depot as an instrument tech and volunteered for combat duty and then was attached to the 384th Bomb Group. 545th Bomb squadron an flew in several positions and with several different crew as a Top Turret/Waist/Togglier and found his spot as a tailgunner on the B17 42-38112 "Mrs Geezil". That A/C was shot down on the April 13th 1944 Schweinfurt mission. It was his 25th mission. He spent the rest of the war as a POW in Stalag 17B near Krems Austria. My uncle never talked about his service or his time as a POW but during my research I found the left waist gunner of the Mrs Geezil alive and well in Oregon. He has been an awesome source of info about their service and their time in Stalag 17B. He also told me about the day they were shot down and what happened during the attack(4KIA 6POW).
I currently do volunteer work for the 384th BG website entering crews from the original mission loading list onto the data base on the website.I look forward to seeing what goodies you have here and hope to be of any help to people looking for info about service members of the USAAF.

Semper Fi
Phil

Last edited:
Thank you all Gentlemen for the warm welcome!!! and to Lucky13, DAMN I LLOOOVVVEEEE that avatar!!!!!I see why you are the forum mascot!!!}8)
Semper Fi
Phil

Hi Phil.

I passed through Yuma this past summer, on my way to Tucson and the Pima air museum. On the way back, I bypassed Yuma and took 95 north through the proving grounds. What a lonely drive that was. :O

Welcome Phil. And never forget. All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of people. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back