Hello. I found this strange 1940s lamp near the Goodyear Airdock where they made Corsairs and Airships. Is it made from aircraft parts? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

loomis

Recruit
Feb 12, 2022
Hello. I am an antique dealer who found this strange floor lamp in Akron, Ohio, near the Goodyear airdock, where they made airships and Corsairs during WWII.

Note - When you look at the photos, ignore the red Dietz globes and their uno fittings. I added those. Just focus on the main aluminum parts.

When I acquired the lamp it had an early tattered cloth-braided cord with a bakelite end, and I feel confident the cord was original and from the 1940's.

Once I looked closely at it I realized the top wing "m" part is asymmetrical (8 3/4" to center on one side, and 9 1/2" to center on the other side) and cast aluminum. The center poles are cast aluminum too, and they are unthreaded, like thick sleeves.

I'm wondering if that top section and the poles are aircraft parts? I also wonder if those holes were weight-reduction holes that someone later stuck those "gemstones" into?

Perhaps it was put together from pieces parts and used in a Masonic lodge or an Orthodox church or something?

Thoughts? Thanks a bunch.

Attachments

• weird_lamp2.jpg
    weird_lamp2.jpg
    652.9 KB · Views: 61
  • weird_lamp1.jpg
    weird_lamp1.jpg
    863.3 KB · Views: 53
I can't say anything about the lamp or whether or not the parts are aircraft ones, but airship structural parts were very light ali alloy and were generally very thin, that's not to say it wasn't from an airship as I don't have any US airship parts manuals.

I understand. This aluminum is thicker, probably 1/4" walls. They apparently also made a short run of F2G "Super Corsairs" here too apparently, for what it's worth.

Hello. I am an antique dealer who found this strange floor lamp in Akron, Ohio, near the Goodyear airdock, where they made airships and Corsairs during WWII.

Note - When you look at the photos, ignore the red Dietz globes and their uno fittings. I added those. Just focus on the main aluminum parts.

When I acquired the lamp it had an early tattered cloth-braided cord with a bakelite end, and I feel confident the cord was original and from the 1940's.

Once I looked closely at it I realized the top wing "m" part is asymmetrical (8 3/4" to center on one side, and 9 1/2" to center on the other side) and cast aluminum. The center poles are cast aluminum too, and they are unthreaded, like thick sleeves.

I'm wondering if that top section and the poles are aircraft parts? I also wonder if those holes were weight-reduction holes that someone later stuck those "gemstones" into?

Perhaps it was put together from pieces parts and used in a Masonic lodge or an Orthodox church or something?

Thoughts? Thanks a bunch.
The globes on your lamp have the name "LITTLE WIZARD" and "LOC NOB" molded into the glass. Apparently the globes were used in railroad lanterns. Here are some gobes on ebay :

and the lantern:

The rest of the material could be railroad related.

Regards,
Bill

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The globes on your lamp have the name "LITTLE WIZARD" and "LOC NOB" molded into the glass. Apparently the globes were used in railroad lanterns. Here are some gobes on ebay :

and the lantern:

Regards,
Bill
Nice work!

and the lantern:

Regards,
Bill
As the OP said, "ignore the Dietz globes."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back