Help ! Can't 'open' pictures.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
I've just had my PC totally updated, and now running on Win. Internet Explorer 8, but I am now unable to open any images in posts. The small, square white box containing a red 'X' is visible as before, but will not open. Before, I'd 'wipe' the cursor over the box, and then press 'Shift + R' to open each image.
Any suggestions please?

Terry , check if there is marked "Show pictures" option in your IE8. The path is ....Tool/Internet(Net) Options/Advanced. If it not set , "switch" on the option and then click OK button. ALso you should reset net "cookies"

I've looked in the 'Advanced', and 'Show Pictures' is enabled. I still can't open them though, and I've noticed that the Group Build icons on all posts are not showing either, only the boxes with the red 'X'.

On the IE8 Net Options 'General' page, there isn't a reset button Wojtek. But, I'll re-start the computer and see if there is any change. On other web sites pictures and attachments seem to be working ok, and all other syatems are ok, but a lot faster, since the update to my PC, which inlcudes a new hard drive.

I've re-started the computer, and no change. All attached images and the GB icons are still showing the red 'X'. I tried uploading a picture, which worked fine, but when going back to the post, it had the red 'X' and wouldn't open. Frustrating!!

OK. Check Tool/Internet Option/Security tab and click the Default Level (if available) for area of the Web site ( for instance Internet)

Just checked that Wojtek, and it is set for 'Custom Default', and unable to click on other default setting. I notice that my last post (#10) and your last post both show the GB icons, where other posts don't. Could this be a problem where the forum doesn't recognize IE8 ?
I'm going to completely shut-down and come back in a few minutes to post some pics in one of my threads.

I don't think it is the problem of recognizing the net browser and the site.I think it is a problem with your IE settings.
Try to close all net programs.Then clear the net broweser again and restart your computer again.

Thanks Wojtek. I've now tried all that, and still no change. I'll have to leave it for tonight, and contact my friend who provided the hardware, to see if he can add anything. i'll 'speak' to you sometime tomorrow I hope. Thanks again for your time and help my friend.

Thanks Eric, I'll try that after I've checked - out the hardware with my friend, the guy who 'built' it. I recall having problems with Firefox last year, although that was on my 'old' system.

Problem Solved !!
I suspected a compatibility problem, IE8 and the forum, and mentioned this to my mate who 'built' the computer. He's a software and hardware designer, and web-sites are not his forte, but he suggested going into 'Tools', 'Compatibility View Settings' and setting the forum address to view as compatible.
Bingo!
I can now see the pics.
Thanks very much Wojtek, and Eric. I did try Firefox, but that wouldn't even show the attachments - but then, I didn't know about the compatibility thing at the time!

Thanks Glenn! It's getting near to the time to judge the current Group Build, and I'd be really stuffed if I couldn't see the entries!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back