Help ID A Japanese Transport Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Negative Creep

Staff Sergeant
Apr 1, 2007
New Zealand
I'm trying to find a bit more information on a Japanese aircraft. It was a late war twin engined craft designed to ship fuel to the Pacific islands. However from what I remember reading it used 80% of its load in doing that so wasn't exactly effective.

Only thing is I can't for the life of me remember the name, or if it was a IJN or IJA craft. I've searched the net but no luck so far. One thing I do know is it looked somewhat like a Ju88. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot, that's the one. Obviously the Ju88 alike must be another aircraft

Great identification re. the big transport - that's one of the things I like about this site in that it keeps throwing up aircraft I've never heard of.

Could the JU88 lookalike be a Kyushu Q1W Tokai / LORNA - I always think it lookes like an anorexic JU88, or a manga version of one.

Kyushu Q1W Tokai / LORNA - anti-submarine

Great identification re. the big transport - that's one of the things I like about this site in that it keeps throwing up aircraft I've never heard of.

Could the JU88 lookalike be a Kyushu Q1W Tokai / LORNA - I always think it lookes like an anorexic JU88, or a manga version of one.

Kyushu Q1W Tokai / LORNA - anti-submarine

Yes, the glasshouse nose and canopy of the Q1W does look Ju-88-ish. But probably the Japanese plane that would best be considered a "Japanese Ju-88" intermas of performance is the JNAF's Yokosuka P1Y Ginga, a fast, medium-light bomber in the Ju-88 mold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back