Help identification metal propeller (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jim555

Airman
Dec 5, 2012
Hello,

I just get this propeller blade, you can see bellow pictures from this object, the total size is 1,68 m , the story tell to me is that a german airplane crash into water in the Monampteuil Lac, north of France, a diver found the blade 20 years ago.
Thank you very much for your help :)

Jim
Helice 005.jpg
Helice 004.jpg

I believe it's German, but other than than that I don't know. One of the more knowledgeable members will see this and give you an answer. You have all of the information needed. Just give them a little time and they'll be along to help.:thumbleft: Cool find to sir.:cool:

All I can say so far is VDM, but not Bf 109, Bf 110, or Fw 190.

Some He 111 (H1-5 for example) and early Ju 88 variants (poss. A-1, A-5 - to be confirmed) used VDM props, though most used Junkers VS-11 paddle bladers.

Will keep checking for ya.

Hello Aaron, hello A4K,

Thank you very much for reply to my post, i am very interested about the conclusion, hope we will know exactly the airplane type from this blade, just a question, what is VDM ?
I am about to visit today the Monampteuil lac, it's a small water bassin, for boat docks, in 1940', the lac was iced, and snow was over, the german pilot mistaken, and landing on,
the airplane passed through the ice. But the question is what type of german airplane ?

Thank you very much for your help,

Best Regards
Jim L

Thank you Crimea River for information :)

I just talk with a witness of the German airplane crash, he is 84 years old, and has a good memory, in October 1941, when he was a kid, a snowing day, he see the German Airplane with engine trouble ( because of the sound ), then the engine stop and the airplane try to landing and crash
into the water of the Monampteuil Lac, about 110 Km north est from Paris. The Lac was NOT iced, the pilot die, later when the water level was low, the tail wing was visible out of water. After the war, US troup from the Couvron Base ( Aisne France ) pickup the plane from the water.

Jim L

A single engined aeroplane?

The number isn't familiar.

Steve

Hello Stona,

The withness, M. LEON, told me it was a single engined aeroplane,

Jim

That makes it interesting then... Considering the lack of info re this prop on the net (can't find a single reference to a -111 prop yet) could be quite a rare item. Will keep trying.

Interesting Jim - and did you notice the following comment?:

'... 9-11177 A - Luftschraube, Dreiblatt 3,6 m, Material Dural, Flugzeugtyp Ju 88 A-1
Hersteller: VDM - Hildesheim (mnh)...'

(Hersteller is 'manufacturer')

The Ju 88 was twin engined however, if M.Leon is correct then we're still looking for another aircraft.

Hello !

Yes A4K, at first look, it's the airplane model we looking for, and the doc posted by Turilli ( thank you so much sir :) if i read correctly this document the blade with 9-11177-11 number is on Junkers 88 motorized with Jumo 211B,
M. Léon has seen one engine plane, but maybe he mistaken, that seem curious because he has a very good memory, the last option to be sure is a picture when US soldiers pick up the plane from the water, there is somewhere, maybe this picture :)
Thank you very much to every body for your help, it's very nice !

Best Regards

Jim Labenne

Jim I am sure that M.Leon believes that he saw a single engined aeroplane,maybe he did,but human memory is very fallible. This is not a reflection on this gentleman's memory but rather applies to all of us.

I conducted some interviews for a local history project and was told things,definitely remembered,about an aircraft that came down near where I live that I know cannot possibly be true. The memories are absolutely genuine,noone was deliberately being misleading,it's just the facts that were wrong.

Cheers

Steve

Great info Turilli!

Can we assume then only Ju 88s were fitted with this propeller (and then too only Jumo 211B powered variants as mentioned earlier)?
If I recall correctly (that memory thing :) ) the Ju 87B Stuka was also powered by the Jumo 211B.

The Ju87B-1 used a similar prop, whilst the B-2 changed to a wooden, broader chord prop. Could it possibly be from a Ju87B-1, possibly based at Creil? Depends on the year, of course.

You're right Steve - my mistake. The B-1 used the Junkers - Hamilton metal blade prop, and the B-2 used the 'Jablo' type, VDM compressed wood, broader chord prop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back