Help identify this plane/model

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Skyediamonds

Staff Sergeant
May 26, 2018
Good evening gentlemen:

I recently reviewed a plastic scale modeling event called Plastikova Zima (not sure if this is the one). I saw what appears to be an unusual plane with different markings. Its really a nice looking model with chrome and blue paint and trim. Can anyone identify it? I'm thinking it might be one of those kit-bashed models making for a composite aircraft.

Thanks,

Skye

Attachments

• Unknown # 1.PNG
    Unknown # 1.PNG
    273.9 KB · Views: 304
  • Unknown # 2.PNG
    Unknown # 2.PNG
    284.6 KB · Views: 284
  • Unknown # 3.PNG
    Unknown # 3.PNG
    321.8 KB · Views: 300
I thought the canopy gave it away from the Stuka myself. The twin tails seem to resemble a Lockheed Electra Model 10 or 12. The turbo charger mounted on the left side of the nose reminded me of those old Curtiss biplanes with experimental turbo chargers. The skis mounted below threw me off as the fixed landing gears. The markings are what really threw me off as I've never seen anything like them.

I don't know the name, but didn't the Swiss make something like that, middle to late 40's.
The one i'm thinking of had retractable landing gear though maybe.

Good evening gentlemen:

I recently reviewed a plastic scale modeling event called Plastikova Zima (not sure if this is the one). I saw what appears to be an unusual plane with different markings. Its really a nice looking model with chrome and blue paint and trim. Can anyone identify it? I'm thinking it might be one of those kit-bashed models making for a composite aircraft.
Thanks,
Skye
This is not a model of a real plane. It's from a Japanese sci-fi movie/anime called "The Princess and the pilot". The plane is called "Santa Cruz" and the model was manufactured by Hasegawa in 3 versions. It's a very nice what if model and can be done in many other versions (e.g. Japanese battle plane) as well. The retractable floats are a bit "funky", but still not too fake. I think the movie plane can land on wheels too, but the model doesn't offer any.
Original
233695-14399-41-pristine.jpg

Racer 1
233696-11185-12-pristine.jpg

Racer 2
233698-14399-18-pristine.jpg

Above photos are from Scalemates .(it's obvious;))
That's the original model version.
2__68997.1329116712.jpg

4__49381.1329116714.jpg

These are official Hasegawa photos. You can still find the model on Amazon or elsewhere.
P.S. Check this scene from the movie:

The model shown in the first post is by a Russian modeler with the nickname "VolshebNik" (which means Wizard in English) - see here:
Santa Cruz 1/72 Hasegawa - ГОТОВО : Форум моделистов

Last edited:
Wow! Thank you for the clarification. That's great. The model also featured an opened hatch behind the cockpit lending some credence to the possibility of a real plane. Beautiful model though.

Wow! Thank you for the clarification. That's great. The model also featured an opened hatch behind the cockpit lending some credence to the possibility of a real plane. Beautiful model though.
You are welcome!
I'm following this fantasy/sci-fi models in plastic, based on Japanese anime-series since years and bought 3 or 4 of them (not those shown here). Two of the a/cs similar in design and appearance to the above one are form the movie "Sky Crawlers". The pusher you see in the above attached movie excerpt is the same or very similar to another one from "Sky Crawlers", called "Sanka B":
122b7241a8fcaaac06ca1121523c26e8.jpg

From the same movie is the "Skyly J2 EX":
41j6aW9wxYL._AC_.jpg

Both machines look nice in the movie:
sky-crawlers-mamoru-oshii.jpg

All photos are from the internet, but one can find many more builds and reviews there.

Catch22:
Really appreciated you taking the extra time to share your following sci-fi stuff. Glad to hear that. I'm more into replicating the real aircraft. I'm currently modeling a Guillow's P-51. It's for my daughter. She's a Mustang groupie. I'm super detailing it far beyond the normal stick & tissue stage. I've already infilled the fuselage & will be covering the whole model with a foil that has an adhesive backing called Flite Metal. Let's exchange more.

I switched from my phone to the laptop so I could send you a few samples of my Guillow's Mustang build. As mentioned before, I'm taking it way beyond the stick-n-tissue stage. The second picture shows my experiments with this adhesive-backed foil called Flite Metal., I was practicing the application of the foil, adding rivets and stenciling. The last photo shows my attempts at detailing the wheel wells. The model was advertised as being 1/12th scale. It's actually closer to 1/15th scale. Skye

Attachments

• P-51 42.jpg
    P-51 42.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 117
  • P-51 Stenciling # 10.JPG
    P-51 Stenciling # 10.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 116
  • P-51 belly scoop -model # 38A.jpg
    P-51 belly scoop -model # 38A.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 113
  • P-51 # 154 gun bay detail.JPG
    P-51 # 154 gun bay detail.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 112
  • P-51 wheel well detail # 150A.jpg
    P-51 wheel well detail # 150A.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited by a moderator:
Catch22:
Really appreciated you taking the extra time to share your following sci-fi stuff. Glad to hear that. I'm more into replicating the real aircraft. I'm currently modeling a Guillow's P-51. It's for my daughter. She's a Mustang groupie. I'm super detailing it far beyond the normal stick & tissue stage. I've already infilled the fuselage & will be covering the whole model with a foil that has an adhesive backing called Flite Metal. Let's exchange more.
I switched from my phone to the laptop so I could send you a few samples of my Guillow's Mustang build. As mentioned before, I'm taking it way beyond the stick-n-tissue stage. The second picture shows my experiments with this adhesive-backed foil called Flite Metal., I was practicing the application of the foil, adding rivets and stenciling. The last photo shows my attempts at detailing the wheel wells. The model was advertised as being 1/12th scale. It's actually closer to 1/15th scale. Skye
Skyediamonds,
Thank you very much for posting some progress of your work. I follow the thread about the super detailed Mustang with great interest. I just don't have much to say there. Many moons ago I built a balsa-model designed to fly. It didn't. During the second launch it broke. You can imagine the disappointment to a boy's soul....Never tried again, but I love your way of "doing the things".
Good luck with the whole project!

Total agree with you on the twin tails resembling the F+W C-3605 & the prop from the Wyvern but can't find anything on the model thst would be a part of the Japanese Raiden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back