Help me identify this propeller (possibly Short Stirling)? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jana23

Recruit
Mar 1, 2023
Dear,

My father introduced me to this forum hoping to find out more about this propeller.
Currently, it's said that this propeller is from a crashed Short Stirling in the Netherlands close to the German border in the province of Brabant. Is there anyone who can identify this propeller? Some info I have:
- The propeller turns clockwise
- The hub is about 57cm
- The speed reduction unit is about 30cm
- The total diameter in its current state is about 260cm
- The propeller width at the connection at the hub is 12cm
- The propeller width at the start of the leading edge is 22cm
- The propeller at its widest is 25 cm

Unfortunately, we couldn't identify the propeller identification.

I am looking forward to hearing from you!

Kind regards,

Jana
0232-002.jpg

Attachments

• 0232-003.jpg
    0232-003.jpg
    832.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 0232-004.jpg
    0232-004.jpg
    785.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 0232-010.jpg
    0232-010.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 0232-011.jpg
    0232-011.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 17
  • 0232-012.jpg
    0232-012.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 15
Do you have any pictures of the propeller from the other side. The side that is shown is the rear engine side. I believe the large gear is part of the engine gear reduction that lowers the propeller RPM from the engine speed.

Do you have any pictures of the propeller from the other side. The side that is shown is the rear engine side. I believe the large gear is part of the engine gear reduction that lowers the propeller RPM from the engine speed.
Unfortunately not… The propeller was kept outside for a longtime so it's very fragile and therefore the new owner didn't allow us to turn it.

That's a pity we can't see the front of the prop. But judging by the hub, the prop blade shape and also the gear reduction it is more likely that the part could be of a Rotol prop for Hurricane rather.

Information received,
"Interesting photos. Immediate thoughts:

1. Certainly Rotol
2. Views are of rear of prop.
3. Metal alloy blades -almost certainly magnesium
4. In that case – possibilities include Spitfire II/Whitley/Halifax (not Stirling as this aircraft did not use Rotols) Miles Master
5. Given the location of the recovery, I would think it's a bomber prop ,therefore Whitley or Halifax (I noted possible remains of de-icing pipes, another indicator)
6. The blade chord measurement is in the right ball park but will not identify the blade drawing number and aircraft type. The full prop diameter is clearly not available.
7. If I were to be supplied with the distance between the hub centre-point and the top of the blade adapter nut (the castellated ring at the base of the blade) I may be able to provide a little more certainty as I have some spinner dimensions which would provide some guidance.

I hope the above helps the enquirer."

Information received,
"Interesting photos. Immediate thoughts:

1. Certainly Rotol
2. Views are of rear of prop.
3. Metal alloy blades -almost certainly magnesium
4. In that case – possibilities include Spitfire II/Whitley/Halifax (not Stirling as this aircraft did not use Rotols) Miles Master
5. Given the location of the recovery, I would think it's a bomber prop ,therefore Whitley or Halifax (I noted possible remains of de-icing pipes, another indicator)
6. The blade chord measurement is in the right ball park but will not identify the blade drawing number and aircraft type. The full prop diameter is clearly not available.
7. If I were to be supplied with the distance between the hub centre-point and the top of the blade adapter nut (the castellated ring at the base of the blade) I may be able to provide a little more certainty as I have some spinner dimensions which would provide some guidance.

I hope the above helps the enquirer."

The blades are (I think) magnesium. The current owner tried to "paint" over the fragile parts as white parts crumbled off the blades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back