help regarding P-51B, Tail number 43-24842, $Blackpool Bat, B6-E, 363rd FS. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

foz

Recruit
Nov 25, 2012
Hi all.

I'm new here so apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

I'm after info regarding P-51B, Tail number 43-24842, $Blackpool Bat, B6-E, 363rd FS.

It collided with another P51 in cloud and the pilots of both were KIA. I've got the info on the pilots killed etc, but whats really got me confused and what i'm after info on is - Why was it called Blackpool Bat? I know a pilot of this plane (not the one who was killed) Lt George G George married an English woman, could the plane possibly be named after her town of Blackpool?

I've searched and searched and come up with nothing other than a pic of George G George on the wing of Blackpool Bat with his wife.

Any help you guys could give regarding how this plane came to be named that would be hugely appreciated. A friend on another forum pointed me this way and said you guys were the ones to ask as you know everything, so no pressure haha.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Foz.

Probably will have some relevance to Blackpool. Both Blackpool and Southport were recreation areas for transiting aircrew in the north west, both being not that far from BAD 1 at Burtonwood, and Warton Depot. Southport was also the location of a USAAF HQ. Burtonwood was the main base where imported US aircraft were taken, after assembly at Speke, and also where aircraft were collected from or delivered from, as well as the main base for major up-grade or repair.

see 8th Air Force Fighter Group - Littlefriends.co.uk

Lt. George G George, Harvey, IL., 363rd Fighter Squadron. P-51B 43-24842 B6-E "$ Blackpool Bat". Final version of this a/c being stripped back to natural metal finish. The name is apparently connected with Lt. George's lady friend seen in the photo, a resident of Blackpool and subsequently Mrs George.

I think it is a bat ( like the one used in baseball) coming from Blackpool (place of girlfriend)

more pictures of this plane
http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/gallery.php?Group=357&Style=item&origStyle=list&Item=155&Temp=3140

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back