Help with a WW2 Bendix Navy Aircraft Mark V sextant (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MCNJ

Airman
May 18, 2011
NJ
Hi,
I just acquired ( in shipment) an Aircraft Sextant and would appreciate any help in better understanding it, use, service or a manual.
Found this site while researching it. Anxious to get it and play with it, although ultimately I will have to sell it. Thought perhaps someone here actually used one at one time and could provide some tips.
Photos are attached.

Thanks

Attachments

• sextant2.jpg
    sextant2.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 363
  • sextant1.jpg
    sextant1.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 322
  • sextant3.jpg
    sextant3.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 358
  • sextant4.jpg
    sextant4.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 305
  • sextant5.jpg
    sextant5.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 333
I found some documents and will post when complete. Looking forward to operating a piece of ww2 history. Expect delivery early next week.

CR, Have you ever used one of these?? I am playing with it now and can't adjust the bubble dia smaller. Not really sure about the adjusting screw. The bubble did form as I followed some info found, but can't reduce it to where it should be. I don't want to put a wrench on it.........until I talk with someone. There is a brass and black piece.
Otherwise, everything looks good. Someone had desiccant packs in it when it was stored.

Thought I would register and join in on this conversation...I've got one of these as well, looks exactly the same as in your photos, only differences I can see are that mine doesn't have the belt strap around the box and yours appears to have "Astigmatizer In" on one side and 2 other labels above but mine doesn't have those. Not sure if I'm allowed to put links on here, but I wrote a bit about it in this blog post: US Navy Sextant « Convexum

I just answered you on your blog. Yest they are basically the same. I have mine working ( had low fluid in bubble block ) .
I leaned quite a bit about the unit from people on sites and can steer you in a direction if you need anything.
Have been busy and have not played with it yet, but on a nice day soon I will take some readings and compare to GPS.
Mike

Hopefully just sent you an email Mike, living by the coast it would be ideal to get it working and have a go using it.

Hi,
Did not receive the email from you .........can you check

Hi,
I just acquired ( in shipment) an Aircraft Sextant and would appreciate any help in better understanding it, use, service or a manual.
Found this site while researching it. Anxious to get it and play with it, although ultimately I will have to sell it. Thought perhaps someone here actually used one at one time and could provide some tips.
Photos are attached.

Thanks

Many congratulations on your fine acquisition. Mine was given to me when I was 15 (some time ago!), and I taught myself celestial navigation with it. I buggered up the bubble years ago because I could not get a clear view through the optics. I have a manual, just need to locate it - if needed, would be happy to copy and email it to you.

N.B. You appear to be missing the lighting unit (a aluminum case for two "D" cells, and the aircraft mounting hook (goes in the screw fitting next to the sextant.

I´ve just bought the Mk IV, used togther with the hamilton 23 pocket chronograph.

537240154_o.jpg
537240186_o.jpg
537240213_o.jpg
537240237_o.jpg
537240274_o.jpg
537240310_o.jpg
nat_geo_oct_1943.jpg
CIMG4350 (Medium).JPG
CIMG4347 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
I would love to obtain a MK 5 sextant. I used one for many hours both day and night as a USMC Aerial navigator on the old "Flying Boxcar" USMC version R4Q-2 (USAF C119). Bsed at Cherry Point NC. Late 56 and early part of 1957 flew out of Port Layota (Sic) French Morocco. For proper navigation one needs an accurate chrometer and set of star tables or almanac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back