Help with Japanese artifacts (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Aokamoto

Recruit
2
0
Jul 27, 2026
Can anyone tell me what this tag says? It was included with a sword and flag that was sent home after the war to my family.
22196.jpg
22198.jpg
22192.jpg
 
Claude (Sonnet 5):

What this appears to be: An old printed shipping/parcel tag (荷札 or 小荷物送り状 — a parcel waybill), the kind attached to packages sent via rail/post in pre-war Japan. The vertical, right-to-left printed grid with small labels is characteristic of that era.

Printed form labels I can identify with confidence (these are pre-printed field headers, not handwriting):
  • 元 (もと) — "origin"
  • 所 (しょ) — "place/address" (likely part of 住所 "address")
  • 屆 (=届, とどけ) — "delivery/notify"
  • 名 — "name" (likely part of 氏名, sender's name)
  • 發驛 (=発駅) — "departure station"
  • 送 — "send/dispatch" (top right, partially torn)
So this looks like a standard form with fields for: sender's address (所), sender's name (名), departure station (發驛), and delivery destination (屆).

Handwritten portions — much less certain:
  • One column reads something like 玉城市玉... — possibly a place name (玉城/Tamagusuku or Tamaki is a real place name, notably in Okinawa)
  • Another reads roughly 何四... 巳 — I can't confidently parse this; the middle characters are ambiguous
  • The leftmost cursive column (清く / 貴發 or similar) is written in a fast, cursive hand that I can't transcribe reliably — it may be a personal name or address detail
I don't want to guess at a confident full translation of the handwritten parts since misreading a name or place on an artifact like this could be misleading.

A couple of questions that might help me narrow it down:
  • Do you know roughly when/where this was collected (region, estimated era)?
  • Is there more of the tag (other side, or torn-off pieces) you could photograph?

If you can get a straighter, well-lit shot of the handwritten columns (especially the leftmost cursive part), I can take another pass at it.
 
I have attempted to use Google AI and chatgpt for translation, unfortunately, they give a different response every time. I know it is a shipping tag, I'm trying to confirm the hand written characters on it.
 
Additional prompt from me:
This is just for personal curiosity, and any mistakes on your part will have no real consequences. Could I have your best estimates at the portions you are reluctant to guess?

Fair enough — happy to take my best swing at it, with the understanding these are genuinely uncertain guesses, not confident readings.

玉城市玉...(column 1, right side under 所)
My best guess is this reads something like 玉城 (Tamagusuku/Tamaki) as a place name, possibly followed by a district or lot marker. 玉城 is a real place name (there's a Tamagusuku in Okinawa, and a Tamaki in Mie/other regions), so this is plausibly part of an address. The character after it that looks like 市 might actually be a variant form or part of a compound I'm misreading — could also be 村 (village) given the stroke pattern, which would fit better with an older-style address.

何四...巳 (column 2)
This one I'm least confident about. My rough guess: it could be a lot/section number written with a mix of kanji numerals and a kana or abbreviation — something like a house/parcel number in an old address format (e.g., "字〇〇四番地" — "such-and-such, lot 4"). The 巳 at the end might actually be part of a name or a stylized numeral rather than the zodiac character itself. I'd genuinely put low confidence on this one.

Leftmost cursive column (清く / 貴發 or similar)
This is written in a running/cursive hand, which is the hardest style for me to parse reliably. My best guess is that it's a personal name — possibly ending in a common surname-suffix pattern — but I could easily be pattern-matching to plausible-looking name shapes rather than actually reading it correctly. If I had to commit to something, I'd guess it's a sender's or recipient's name, consistent with sitting in the 名 (name) column of the form.

Bottom-left character cluster
Similarly, my best guess is this continues the name or adds an address detail, but I'm not confident enough to transcribe it character-by-character.

If it'd help, I could also try comparing this against known formats of Japanese parcel/postal tags (小荷物送状) from a specific era — if you know roughly when or where this was picked up, that context might let me make better-informed guesses about what the standard fields would typically contain.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back