Help with map I.D.? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
A friend has just acquired this map, from a charity (thrift) shop, of all places!
It shows the area of Plymouth and Cape Cod, New England, and the original was British-produced, probably in the very late 1600s or early 1700s.
It's a litho-printed reproduction measuring approximately 24 x 30 inches and, whilst there are similarities to the 'Hubbard' map of 1677, the orientation is different, having North at the top of the sheet (Hubbard's had West at the top), and more detail, particularly place names.
An initial examination of the printing hasn't really disclosed much, other than that it's a four-colour litho separation, which could have been produced any time within the last 60 years, possibly earlier, but probably older than 20 years, judging by the 'dot' size and formation.
Searches to date have not found any evidence of any other map of the period, apart from the aforementioned 'Hubbard Map', and this example bears an inscription and dedication, in the top left corner, which we are still trying to decipher. The reproduction is obviously of the entire sheet, and includes the torn edges, water stains etc.
A former Royal Engineers cartographer, and cartographic historian, is of the opinion that the original was possibly drawn by three different people, and he believes this may be a one-off, or very limited reproduction of a very rare document.
Any information or leads would be gratefully appreciated.

Attachments

• Map, New England 005.jpg
    Map, New England 005.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 260
  • Map, New England 003.jpg
    Map, New England 003.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 241
Terry, this is a lot tougher than the B-24 question. I will do some searching and see what I can find but I don't know a lot about these old maps. I have seen a copy of the Hubbard map but it was a long time ago.

Thanks very much Aaron. Any piece of information, however small, will be gratefully received. The historian mentioned believes the value of this example, even as a reproduction, is far in excess of what my friend paid for it, and he is, understandably, somewhat stunned!

Terry, these are some places that I have been looking. I have found some that look similar to what your friend has but have not found anything identical as in location. I will post the promising links here as I find them if you would like to search them or get in touch with them to find out more.

Stone Gallery 17th Century Maps

Terry, here are some links to sites I have come across with similar maps. One has a map published in 1720 but was cartographed in the late 1600s. I will put an asterisk beside this one. You may be able to get in touch with one of these sites and ask them some questions about what you have and see what they have to say. I will keep looking and I hope this helps.
USM|Osher Map Library *
Stone Gallery 17th Century Maps
http://www.philaprintshop.com/gallery.html (this site offers to answer questions)

Last edited:
Thanks very much indeed Aaron. I'd already seen the USM site, and may contact the University to see if they can offer any assistance, depending on what my friend wants to do. He hasn't got a computer, so it's a case of to'ing and fro'ing between the two of us !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back