Help with possible P47 Thunderbolt part identification?? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Huffy

Airman
Oct 17, 2005
Shropshire
Does anyone know what this aluminium tube may be off please??
Straight hole through the centre and the 2 dints are damage/ corrosion I think ,but maybe not
20160911_170828_zps0o6axfe1.jpg

20160911_170748_zpsr5girxff.jpg

It was found today ,whilst metal detecting a known P47 crash site , but annoyingly ,I had to leave as the farmer was getting the cows in ,and I expected to find a fair few hits near by , but did not !!
The plane had been abandoned on a training flight and crashed at the co ordinates nearly exactly where I did dig it up .
August 44 . Possibly dry conditions then ,so I would not expect a lot of things to find !!

I have been on a couple of P47 digs before , but cant seem to think what it might possibly be , unless its agricultural in origin . But being aluminium , it is promising .

HHmm, I had wondered absent mindedly if it could be pitot tube . It seems to have straight edges on the ends so ,it does not appear to have broken off . I was just wanting a bit of reassurance (lol) that I might be in the rightplace , because farmers fields, in out of the way places , can be awful boring to detect (apart from the horseshoes ,rotary muck spreader parts or items the aforementioned spreaders have disgorged) But they are iron of course. A crash site is distinctively popoulated with good hits , by and large !
I must get back to do more of the field
Cheers Airframes :)

Hi Huffy,
I don't think it's part of the pitot tube, as these are flat sided on the P-47 and have a shark fin on the top .
No idea of what it is , but I have been collecting P-47 parts for about 17 years , I still haven't got enough for a complete one !.
As you can tell by my user name the 495TH FTG based at Atcham is my main interest , Have you got many P-47 parts ?
Best Regards Station 342

What's the size of the hole through the middle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back