Help with possible P47 Thunderbolt part identification??

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Huffy, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Huffy

Huffy Member

farmer
    Does anyone know what this aluminium tube may be off please??
    Straight hole through the centre and the 2 dints are damage/ corrosion I think ,but maybe not
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It was found today ,whilst metal detecting a known P47 crash site , but annoyingly ,I had to leave as the farmer was getting the cows in ,and I expected to find a fair few hits near by , but did not !!
    The plane had been abandoned on a training flight and crashed at the co ordinates nearly exactly where I did dig it up .
    August 44 . Possibly dry conditions then ,so I would not expect a lot of things to find !!

I have been on a couple of P47 digs before , but cant seem to think what it might possibly be , unless its agricultural in origin . But being aluminium , it is promising .

2. Airframes

Airframes Benevolens Magister

Retired
    Just a guess, but maybe the tip of the pitot tube ?

3. Huffy

Huffy Member

farmer
    HHmm, I had wondered absent mindedly if it could be pitot tube . It seems to have straight edges on the ends so ,it does not appear to have broken off . I was just wanting a bit of reassurance (lol) that I might be in the rightplace , because farmers fields, in out of the way places , can be awful boring to detect (apart from the horseshoes ,rotary muck spreader parts or items the aforementioned spreaders have disgorged) But they are iron of course. A crash site is distinctively popoulated with good hits , by and large !
    I must get back to do more of the field
    Cheers Airframes :)