Help With Rare Engine Specifications

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello all,

I am new here. Some of you who troll theaerodrome.com may recognize my handle. I have a website where I collect American and German military aircraft information U.S. and German Military Aircraft Database, 100+ Years Worth. I have been searching for some basics (bore and stroke...) on a few of the more rare engines:

Fairchild Ranger XH-1850-2
NAF XV-715-2
Muncie XO-40-1 (I think that this is based on an outboard motor, but which one?)
Jacobs XR-1530 (Is this a military designation? It looks like it may be a 2-row R-755.)
Continental XR-1740-2
Kiekhaefer V-105-2
Fichtel Sachs SF2-350 (This seems to be a modified snowmobile or motorcycle engine, but which one?)
Armstrong Siddeley Boarhound
Armstrong Siddeley Wolfhound
Beardmore Tornado I
Beardmore Tornado II
Fairey Princess
Napier Cutlass

Several of these exist in museums, but I have been unable to get information on them. I would greatly appreciate any info that any of you may have. Thank you in advance.

Roger

NAF XV-715-2: Takeoff Rating = 500 bhp @ 3,500 rpm; Normal Rating = 430 bhp @ 3,300 rpm; Bore = 4.000"; Stroke = 4.750"; CR = 7.5:1; Reduction Gear Ratio = 3:2; Impeller Gear Ratio = 6.7:1; Impeller Diameter = 9.25". Water-Cooled Inverted V-12.

Continental XR-1740-2: Bore = 5.625"; Stroke = 5.000"; CR = 5.5:1

As far as I know, the Napier Cutlass was a licensed version of the Junkers Jumo 205 diesel, 105 mm bore x 160 mm stroke for each piston.

My records indicate that the Armstrong Siddeley Wolfhound was 6.0 inch bore x 5.5 inch stroke. x 24 cylinders = 3732 cubic inches displacement.

Well, here is what I have and it agrees with Piper106:

Armstrong Siddeley Wolfhound - Bore: 6 in (152.4 mm), Stroke 5.5 in (139.7 mm), Displacement: 3732 (61.1 L).

I'm not sure about the Boarhound but I'll look around.

Beardmore Tornado - I'm not sure the I and II had a different bore and stroke from the III. From what I have read, the different versions were from changes in cylinder blocks, crankshafts, and fuel injectors. The III's bore was 8.25 in (209.55 mm), stroke of 12 in (304.8 mm), Total displacement of 5132 cu in (84.1 L) and weighed around 4500 lb (2040 kg).

Napier Cutlass – Licensed version of the Junkers Jumo 205C. I am not sure they every built one. Bore: 4.13 in (105 mm), stroke: 6.30 in x 2 (160 mm x 2), Displacement: 1015 cu in (16.62 L), weight 1146 lb (520 kg). Napier did build a few Culverins, which were licensed versions of the Jumo 204.

I might have some info on the Ranger, but doubtful.

I'm not sure I have heard of the Fairey Princess. I am aware of the Prince and Monarch. I'll look around on this too.

Thank you all for your help. I do look at the AEHS pages, and there is a wealth of information there, but so far I have not been able to find what I need there on these rare engines.

kmccutcheon, If you are who I think you might be, I enjoyed your book on the Wright Tornado.

I am traveling for business, so I am 1200 miles from my library. One of my sources (maybe Putnam's British Bombers or Fighters?) mentions a 1000hp Fairey Princess c.1939. Perhaps this was 1/2 a Monarch?

The V-105-2 was widely used in the KD6G-2 drone postwar. I have asked a couple of museums that have one, but they have had little information. Perhaps someone out there has a manual?

The SF2-350 was used in the RQ-2B, so it may be too late for this forum. Again, maybe someone out there might have a manual?

I found the XR-1530 in a list of Bendix carbs in the AEHS pages. I have never seen any other reference.

I will eventually add some British pages to my website, but my information is not ready for posting.

Thank you again for all of your help.

Roger

I have added a Jacobs page to the Aircraft Engine Historical Society web site that includes information on the Jacobs XR-1530. Please see the bottom of The Jacobs Page
I shall be adding similar information on the Ranger XV-920 and XH-1850 when time permits.

To airplane176: Thank you for your kind words about my Tornado book.

Last edited:
kmccutcheon,

Thank you very much for the Jacobs information. Ranger V-920? Another new one to me.

You are most welcome about the Tornado book. I am awaiting returning home to order your Chrysler book.

Roger

kmccutcheon,

Thank you very much for the Ranger information. You probably know that an XH-1850-2 is in the NASM collection, so it made it at least to the prototype stage. Also, I see in the Fairchild Finding Aid http://airandspace.si.edu/research/arch/findaids/pdf/fairchild_finding_aid.pdf the following:

Folder 7 Stratos Report, SR-19 Design Investigation of a Cabin Supercharger Unit, SR-29 Report
of Development test conducted on the Stratos Model C-1 Supercharger for the Ranger
XH-1850-2, SR-1 Design features, Development and test of Stratos A3 Supercharger

Roger

The Fairchild (Ranger) page that provides information on the XV-920 and XH-1850 is now on the AEHS web site (near the bottom). I wish there was more, but this seems to be just about everything that is available.

I would note that the Navy did use the Ranger V-770 in the Curtiss SO3C Seamew to the tune of over 700 aircraft built. Perhaps it would have been better if they hadn't built built them as they were partially replaced by the older Curtiss SOC Seagull taken from storage. Not an episode the Navy wants to remember :)

kmccutcheon,
Thank you very much for the Ranger information. You probably know that an XH-1850-2 is in the NASM collection, so it made it at least to the prototype stage.
No, I was not aware of that, but am glad you mentioned it. It turns out I had images of that engine, which are now on the Fairchild (Ranger) page.

Shortround6, thank you also for providing more information on the Curtiss S03C, which has also been added.

kmccutcheon,

I have returned home. Your Chrysler Aircraft Engines book was awaiting me. Another excellent effort. Any hints as to your next project? Thank you.

Roger

Three projects under way: American Sleeve-Valve Aircraft Engines, Lycoming Liquid-Cooled Aircraft Engines, and Continental Liquid-Cooled Aircraft Engines. No clue as to when any will be finished.

I have found the Fairey Princess engine again. It was a 1000hp project for the Fairey FC-1 4-engine airliner. It appears to have been developed into the Monarch.
PlaneTalk • View topic - Yeovilton Cobham Hall FAAM 25th October 2007

I tried on the AOMCI.org website to find out about the Muncie XO-40-1. Lots of other help, nothing on that one.
The Antique Outboard Motor Club Forums - Muncie Gear Drone Engine

I was trolling through the net and found the USAF Statistical Digest.
http://www.afhso.af.mil/usafstatistics/

In the 1949 to 1953 issues, I found some odd aircraft engine designations. Does anybody have any ideas?
C-010
C-013
C-858-FJ
C-908-FJ
E-005
N-1610
O-861-C

In those years, I also found the V-032, which was a B-29 APU, so some of these may be auxiliary engines.

Thank you in advance,

Roger

I have answered part of my own question. C-010 (C-10) and C-013 (C-13) are auxiliary power units. C-858-FJ and C-908-FJ appear to be the Air Force testing some Continental C-85-8FJ and C-90-8FJ fuel injection versions of the O-190-1 and O-205-1. I think that the N-1610 is just a fat-fingered or misinterpreted V-1710 and E-005 may be a Continental E-225 similarly garbled (type E-@@5 on a keyboard?).

Roger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back