Henschell Hs129 B-3

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rochie

Staff
Mod
ok i plan on doing a Hs129 B-3 for the heavy hitters GB, the profile below is the subject i have decals for.

Henschel_Hs_129_1.jpg

would it have had the yellow theater band and yellow lower cowls and nose like other 129's i have seen ?
can't find any pics of this bird so any help would be appreciated.

No doubt someone will chip in Karl, but I would have thought that, being a theater colour, the yellow bands and panels would have been in place. But I'm not well versed in Eastern front stuff, so maybe there's a reason the profile dosns't show bands - although all photos I've seen of this aircraft type seem to have them.

Are we sure that cannon configuration went operational before the end of the war? I'm no expert, but I seem to remember the only photo I have ever seen of that "get up" was a test aircraft, that may have even had the black factory codes still on it. I will have to look... Just sayin'.

Are we sure that cannon configuration went operational before the end of the war? I'm no expert, but I seem to remember the only photo I have ever seen of that "get up" was a test aircraft, that may have even had the black factory codes still on it. I will have to look... Just sayin'.

got the Kagero book on this crate and it seems a few did see service

I have the Luftwaffe's Classics #2 on this plane, if nobody has answered I can look once I get home.

cheers mate appreciate it, have a profile of a different bird with yellow panels and coded DO + XG but nothing on my subject !

Yes a number of B-3's with the cannon did see service, at least with 10.(Pz)/SG 9 13.(Pz)/SG 9. Others were equipped but do not appear to have been used in combat.

In regards to the theatre band from the pics I've seen for the B-2's of 14.(Pz)/SG 9 I would say yes. However there are no pics of their B-3's in the book that shows one way or another.

I hope this helps.

Yes a number of B-3's with the cannon did see service, at least with 10.(Pz)/SG 9 13.(Pz)/SG 9. Others were equipped but do not appear to have been used in combat.

In regards to the theatre band from the pics I've seen for the B-2's of 14.(Pz)/SG 9 I would say yes. However there are no pics of their B-3's in the book that shows one way or another.

I hope this helps.

thanks, if nothing shows up i might just do it as the profile above but add the yellow theater markings to jazz it up a bit !

Karl, I'm in camp now. Send me your email and I will send you the photos next Thursday(am) when I get home.

Geo

pm sent Geo

Karl, I have found this profile in the book for Hs129 of the Wydawnictwo Militaria - No.10. According to the caption the plane was used in Poland but not in Russia where the yellow quick ID markings were quite common. If the B-3 planes of the Stab. IV.(Pz)/SG9 weren't used operationally in Russia these might have been painted with the scheme without the yellow markings.

Hs129B-3_.jpg

Perhaps these profiles should be taken with a grain of salt if there are no photos to back them up. If that is the case, then they are conjecture or best guess, so don't sweat it that much is all I can suggest.

I agree Jim. I've got some books on Luftwaffe ground attack aircraft and hopefully there are some photos to back the profiles up. I think one of the profiles I have is the same as Wojteks.

Geo

Last edited:
Yes I see that Geo. I like the version where the unit markings are painted over the factory codes. Adds a sense of urgency befitting the end game, don't you think?
Jim i have decals to do exactly that, shame it seems no yellow panel though !

I agree Jim. I've got some books on Luftwaffe ground attack aircraft and hopefully there are some photos to back the profiles up. I think one of the profiles is the same as Wojteks.

thanks Geo
Geo

Karl, I have found this profile in the book for Hs129 of the Wydawnictwo Militaria - No.10. According to the caption the plane was used in Poland but not in Russia where the yellow quick ID markings were quite common. If the B-3 planes of the Stab. IV.(Pz)/SG9 weren't used operationally in Russia these might have been painted with the scheme without the yellow markings.

View attachment 231927

interesting Master Wojtek, spinners are different on your profile as well, thanks

interesting Master Wojtek, spinners are different on your profile as well,

That's true Karl. But it may be the matter of an interpretation B&W pictures. However these profiles show two different planes methinks. Here I have found these two other profiles. The top caption says it was the plane used for the Ost Front in the Autumn of 1944 while the second one informs that it is Hs129B-3 used in Poland during the Winter 1944.

Hs129_profile.jpg

I see Karl. But judging by the date ( 1942/1943) it must have been Hs129B-2 because acoording the book of the Wydawnictwo Militaria the B-3 assembling started in July 1944 when three first rebuilt planes W.Nr.162033,162034,162035 were finished. On the 8th August 1944 these were sent to the Erprobungskommando in Tarnewitz for firing trials. The first Hs129B-3s were sent to units for the operational using in September 1944. So there may be a mistake in the kit istruction.

well after looking for at the kit instructions i am now looking for another subject.

Italeri/supermodel say NN+KF was a B-2 and along with the dates being very wrong i am dubious about it !

so found this in Squadron Signal Hs129 in action.

any thoughts to it accuracy ?

Hs129.jpg

will have to check if i have a yellow 3 first and will probably leave off the W.Nr as well as i know i dont have white numerals that small

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back