Here's Laugh for You (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GregP

Major
Jul 28, 2003
Chino, California, U.S.A.
Here is a link to the EngineHistory.Org website. It is a link purportedly by Robert Beal who wrote a book about engines.

http://www.enginehistory.org/Packard/StatsAllPackardAero.pdf

In this file, about halfway down, it says all the Merlins were DOHC engines!

Now, for everyone who has actually worked on one, that will be a bit of a shock since all the Merlins I have sever seen were SOHC engines with 4 valves per cylinder.

Makes you wonder exactly who these "experts" are, doesn't it?

Gives me great faith in his table numbers ... Not.

Last edited:
I don't know all but I have ever worked on modelling a Merlin in my CGI.
It had only one camshaft as you pointed out.

Merlin_Camshaft_Bracket_Rocker.JPG

Hey Shinpachi,

When you get finished, just send the files over to Toyota and have them run off a few hundered Merlins ...

The world would thank you with a lot of MONEY.

Only ... better not run off too many half-valves. Probably better if you do the entire valve.

Thank you very much for your interesting suggestion, Greg :)
I frankly always admire your so flexible viewpoint and it does not make me feel your age of a retired person.
I am beginning to understand what I have been doing now.
Thank you very much.

Merlin_valve_sim_01.gif
Merlin_valve_sim_02.gif

Love the valves above! Good work!

Thanks for the kind words Shinpachi. I don't know how old you are - I am 64 - but it clearly hasn't dimmed your creative abilities on a computer. I look forward to seeing a finished engine demo, whether it is a Merlin, Allison, Kinsei, Hispano-Suiza, Klimov, Homare or whatever. Maybe a working constant-speed propeller?

I love radials, but would welcome any of your very excellent graphics. You are one of the great resources in here.

PM me your email address and I'll send you some 3-views I have done. They aren't in your class, but I did some Japanese planes because we HAVE some at the museum. My biggest problems have been getting drawings / pictures with enough detail to add the correct detail into the 3-view. When I can't find it, I usually add whatever rivets seem correct and wait to find out how far off I am when I find the details later. These drawings are for museum signs, not public criticism, though I have posted a few in here as jpg's.

If you have an A6M5 Model 52 done, that would be great to see! We fly one, as you know. It is undergoing overhaul now and I can get some great detail shots if you want some via email.

Absolutely lovely work on the camshaft, valves, pistons and gears, Shinpachi. One question...won't it all be invisible once you shove it in the crankcase, install the engine in the fuselage and button up the cowling? :dontknow:

:)

I didn't expect this kind of favorable reactions from you all :shock:
Thank you very much!

One question...won't it all be invisible once you shove it in the crankcase, install the engine in the fuselage and button up the cowling? :dontknow:
:)

Thank you very much for your care, buffnut453 :)
Yes, it would be invisible.

To tell or not our secret, when a CGI designer makes an airframe to install the engine, the engine itself is usually hollow to save the PC capability to render the image quickly. Which part to be rendered or not is easily selectable.

Last edited:
Here is a link to the EngineHistory.Org website. It is a link purportedly by Robert Beal who wrote a book about engines.

http://www.enginehistory.org/Packard/StatsAllPackardAero.pdf

In this file, about halfway down, it says all the Merlins were DOHC engines!

Now, for everyone who has actually worked on one, that will be a bit of a shock since all the Merlins I have sever seen were SOHC engines with 4 valves per cylinder.

Makes you wonder exactly who these "experts" are, doesn't it?

Gives me great faith in his table numbers ... Not.

Hello Greg,

I hope that you are willing to look beyond a simple mistake.

1) We are all human and prone to mistakes.

2) Robert Neal has published multiple books and his works are the definitive works on Packard engines and the Liberty.

3) The "S" key and the "D" key are right next to each other on the keyboard, and DOHC is just as easy to type, or mistype, as SOHC.

4) In the middle of page 1, I see: "Packard-Built Rolls-Royce Merlin engines (V-1650 and Merlin models listed below) totaled 55,873. Production figures by individual model are known for the US models (V-1650) and are listed by each model. They are not currently known for the British models (Merlin). All were SOHC engines. (Note that Continental also built 897 V-1650 engines, models quantities as follows: V-1650-3: 2, V-1650-7: 752, V-1650-9: 124, V-1650-17: 19)"

I do not see any mention of DOHC relating to the Merlin or V-1650.

5) If Mr. Neal made a mistake, I will choose to overlook it. If you made a mistake, I will choose to overlook it too. Just like Mr. Neal, you have proved your knowledge many times over. I would not discount everything you say because of one minor and easy to make error. And, I hope that if I have made a mistake above or in reading the file, people will understand my meaning and choose to overlook the mistake.

As an example, you wrote "Robert Beal" in your original post when you meant "Robert Neal." I can either decide that this error indicates you have no idea about anything and that I should never read anything you post ever again, or I can decide that it was a simple typo; after all, the "B" key is right next to the "N" key. As I have found a number of your posts illuminating and intriguing, I will always choose the latter.

Now, Shinpachi - those renderings are outstanding! Excellent work!

Kind Regards,

Hi WJPierce,

I forgive many and most mistakes. I pointed this error out to enginehistory.org over 4 years ago and it still hasn't been fixed. That sort took it to the point where I commented on it in here. Since it is wrong, maybe fix it? I am not a member, but someone should read what is out there and make corrections if warranted.

I have not read Robert Neal's other books, but would if I had the chance.

Sure, I make and have made mistakes. We all do. Let's say that my experiences with WWII V-12 engines are at some odds with the exerpiences of some other guys in here. Doesn't mean I didn't see and experience what I did or that the other guys didn't either. We both saw what what we saw. Some days the dragon wins.

If you are a member of enginehistory.org, perhaps you could ask Mr. Neal to fix that little error and put it to bed. Perhaps you could ask him to add a note to the V-1650-19 stating it had a variable-speed hydraulic drive, much like the German DB series of engine, and was a US-only development. Since that is a glaring departure from the rest of the series, it seems like worthwhile note to add, and the facts exist on the enginehistory.org website elsewhere.

Otherwise it seems like a pretty decent list, all in all.

While I am a big Allison fan, that does NOT detract from being a big Merlin fan, too. I love them both, partlcularly if I can ride behind one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back