HeS 30 not cancelled (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wiking85

Staff Sergeant
Jul 30, 2012
Chicagoland Area
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinkel_HeS_30
What if this jet engine was not cancelled? It looks very promising, though perhaps a bit less powerful than the later Jumos (though more reliable and fuel efficient, not to mention much smaller). It seems it could have been ready by 1943 for service with the He 280, which was also pretty much ready for service in 1943.
We don't have to presume anything is moved up from OTL, as I did with the Jumo 004 thread, which we discovered was impossible due to important previous discoveries being necessary, just prevent the engine from being cancelled.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinkel_He_280
Assuming its not cancelled and ready by 1943, the smaller, shorter ranged He280 would have been the favored design, as the Me262 would have dropped in performance with the smaller engine. This changes the assumptions from my previous thread, as it would instead mean that the He280 is used as an air superiority fighter against Allied fighters, rather than as a bomber destroyer per se. It outperformed the Fw190 in a dogfight with the weaker HeS 8 engine, so would have been even better with the more powerful HeS30 engines.
Was this a viable option for an early jet engine/fighter?

The He280 was designed for the lighter, lower thrust engines but I would certainly say keep the Jumo004 on track for the Me262.

You will find that the Jumo004B was greatly improved over the 004A so again, like in the other thread, had the RLM realized the importance of the jet program and funded it earlier, then the 004B would have been the result of this research sooner.

It is an option that I've been wondering about too, but doesn't go very far.
When the Hitler guy issued his order about the Me-262 being hurridly dedicated to forthcomnig Allied landing beaches surprise attack, the deciding German staff, having no choice, should have complied. And instantly re-raise the He-280 program. To get a good jet fighter at the soonest.
While the Me-262 was certainly a more potent bomber zerstörung thing and a general employ heavy fighter, AH orders being AH orders, stupid or not so, re-enliving the He-280 would be an appealing option for them : to keep an advanced jet fighter at soonest on the scene.

When we think that the heavy concrete V-1 -1st generation- massive launching sites played such a good role as a deception, for RAF Bomber Command change of priorities, the He-280 too in West Europe could have played a part in attracting the Lancs, perhaps tearing their effort against numerous V1 big-concrete fearsome installations, and most worrisome long-runwayed bases for the He-280s... ?
Deployed well in western France, those long-runway He-280 bases like their V1 big-concrete conterparts, would have attracted Allied strategic attention and in themselves put a main problem for the planned Overlord operation.

They, short of any better, could have played an excellent strategic shield for the hidden, secret effort for the Me-262 'beach surprise'.

This the best, 100% luck, most optimistic plan the Germans could raise.
Less than a 100 He-280 could do.. Being in themselves a very dangerous weapon, at least in the fighter vs fighter game. A problem that the Allied planners had to adress..

But then when you think of it :
- Yes the Allied would have 'adressed' it !
- Too few He-280 + too few Me-262 'beach-bombers' = little effect.
Although, much worry... It then depends on who has the nerves.
I don't think the Allied were the ones to hold doubts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back