Hi, from Germany

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

acerus

Airman
Jun 15, 2009
Flensburg, GER
Just wanted to say hello to everyone here. Im 32 Years old and living in Northern Germany.
I served 8 Years in the German Airforce (Tactical Reconnaissance Wing 51 in Jagel, and no, i was no Pilot) and was as long as i can think fascinated by Airplanes.
My English is not the best but i learn with every written word...:oops:
I like this Website because theres such a overwhelming amount of information here.

Acerus

P.S.: My Grandfather was Radar Operator on a Me110 Nightfighter, stationed at Dortmund. I tried to talk with him about this time to get more Informations. Sadly he doesn´t want to talk much about it.

Welcome acerus!

Keep working on getting grandpa to open up. There are a couple B17 combat veterans that frequent this site. Maybe it would be helpful for him to hear what they have to say.

Hello Acerus!
Welcome and greetings from Serbia!
Do try to convince your Grandfather to speak about his service. I'm sure his story and experiences would be very interesting and much appreciated by many members here.

Thanks for your kind words ;)

Keep working on getting grandpa to open up. There are a couple B17 combat veterans that frequent this site. Maybe it would be helpful for him to hear what they have to say..

I will give it a try in 2 Months. My Grandpa lives already in Dortmund (i think he only leaves this Town for Holidays in Norway...) and i do live in Flensburg, so thats why i am not visiting him so often (a short Flight, a long Drive). But anyway, i think that the B-17 Vets are not so familiar with Nightime Attacks as the Brits do.
The 8th Airforce was flying their Raids in Daytime, or am i wrong?
He told me only once about slipping into British Bomber Streams at Night, how he gets closer and closer with the Radar and then the Bursts from the Gunfire and.....stop. Here he stops and talks about the English Airmen that getting captured after shoot down. Where (Prison, POW-Camp) he talks to them he didn´t tell me, but he spoke of them in great Respect..
I will try to make Interview kind of thing (maybe with Video). But he is (despite his Age) very busy...:shock:

Acerus

Hello and welcome from England. If your grandfather is able to tell of his experiences, that would be very interesting. But many who survived the war don't like to remember, or tell their stories, my late father included. One needs to respect this wherever possible. Oh, and your English is fine - no doubt much better than my German!

Herzlich willkommen, und grüsse aus Dänemark. ;)
And that was about the extent of what I remember of my german language lessons from the good old school days. :lol:
Anyway, welcome - as you've probably already found out, there's tons of knowledge to be found in here.
More than enough to keep you occupied for several hours of reading. ;)

Herzlich willkommen, und grüsse aus Dänemark. ;)
That is perfect German(okay the g have to be written Big "G") , respect BikerBabe! As German is a difficult Language....
As i am living in Sydslesvig, i am surrounded by Danish People (which is great, i love Tuborg!8))
Just a short note: I remeber my time at the GAF: We had Visitors from Denmark which we should introduce in the Usage of the HK G36. You have to know that this Weapon has a Reflex Visor (dont know the right English Term) wich shows a Red Dot. Everywhere you point this Dot you will Hit.
Now on the Shooting Range we talk broken English (German vs. Danish ...hehehe).
After 10 minutes a Danish Soldier comes to me and said that he wont use this Red Dot anymore coz he gets sick from it.... i just asked why... he said he starts to squint when he looks through the Visor:lol:
After that i told him not to look with both Eyes through the Visor.
After that he was a Sharpshooter :D!

Acerus

Many Thanks to all for the Welcome Posts here!
He He! That's brought back many memories from my days as an instructor!
Great! Where do you serve? If i may ask..... But thats only one of many crazy situations you have to face when you.....to be continued

Last edited:
@ Maximowitz: Sadly i dont know, but i will try to get futher Infos when i visit him in August. But it is sure that he was stationed at Dortmund....i tryed Google but no Luck....im not an Expert too....
I will tell more in a spezial Thread when i talked to him.
Thanx fot the Welcome!

Acerus

Acerus, I was Airborne originally. Spent some time on various exerises in Germany, and mounted a drop from Fassberg once, when a Fiat G91 Tac Recce unit was based there, along with a 'Huey' unit. That would be about 1973.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back