Hispano 20mm Cannon - Incorrect Reference to Use of Martin Baker Feed Mechanism (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ronl

Airman
Dec 23, 2006
There are ongoing incorrect and multiple source references to the belt feed mechanism that was designed and manufactured for the Hispano 20mm cannon. The Hispano cannon became a true superior weapon when the French designed Chatellerault feed mechanism was adopted to replace the 60 round ammunition drum. When the Chatellerault design was brought back to Britain from France, the company that was eventually successful in manufacturing the feed mechanism was the Molins Machine Company. Martin Baker was one of the bidders for the contract, but they were not selected and were not involved in any manufacturing of belt feed mechanisms during the war.

Somehow, Martin Baker has been incorrectly referenced in multiple sources as the designer/manufacturer of the modified feed mechanism for the Hispano cannon. I am amazed that this incorrect information continues to be printed.

I just thought I would post this information to help correct the record.
Ronl

There are ongoing incorrect and multiple source references to the belt feed mechanism that was designed and manufactured for the Hispano 20mm cannon. The Hispano cannon became a true superior weapon when the French designed Chatellerault feed mechanism was adopted to replace the 60 round ammunition drum. When the Chatellerault design was brought back to Britain from France, the company that was eventually successful in manufacturing the feed mechanism was the Molins Machine Company. Martin Baker was one of the bidders for the contract, but they were not selected and were not involved in any manufacturing of belt feed mechanisms during the war.

Somehow, Martin Baker has been incorrectly referenced in multiple sources as the designer/manufacturer of the modified feed mechanism for the Hispano cannon. I am amazed that this incorrect information continues to be printed.

I just thought I would post this information to help correct the record.
Ronl
Hi Ron -MB did design a Flat Feed and it was used, though not extensively during the war. Much greater use post war.

Halton 81st Entry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back