History of mission marks / kill marks?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ted Byfield

Recruit
Mar 8, 2017
Hi, all — I'm writing a history of data visualization, and I'd like to learn more about the history of the tallies painted on warplanes. I've found lots of fragmentary and contradictory mentioned, but I'm hoping that a few of you with some deep knowledge can point me to some authoritative overviews — where and when this tradition started, whether aviators did it first and artillery / navies later, any policy directives about them, and so on. I'd be happy to share the results of my research once it comes together. Thanks much! Ted

The practice most likely got it's start in WWI, when the roundel and aircraft's serial number was removed from the downed aircraft as both proof of it's dowing and as a souvenir.

But the practice of displaying victories goes back as far as the Roman Empire, as each Legion's standard displayed victory medallions on the standard beneath the wreath that surrounded the Legion's number. The wreath was being clutched by the Imperial Eagle.

I also seem to recall that Royal Navy warships also had a practice of displaying battle/victory commemoration medallions on their warships starting in the 17th or 18th century.

Last edited:
There's this book...

upload_2018-9-28_17-16-36.png

Individual victories: first I can think of is/was William Barker's much-decorated Camel with "notches" on an interplane strut.
Unit victories: I believe the 22nd Aero Sqn (or somesuch) painted white tombstones adorned with black crosses on many/most squadron SPADs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back