"Hitler Tree" may get the axe

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
JASLO, Poland (Reuters) – An oak tree planted in Nazi-occupied Poland during World War Two to mark Adolf Hitler's birthday may soon face the axe if the local mayor has her way.

Authorities in Jaslo in rural southeastern Poland discovered the origins of the tree when plans were lodged to fell it to make way for a traffic roundabout.

"We obtained information that this is no ordinary tree but was put here to mark Adolf Hitler's birthday," said Jaslo's mayor, Maria Kurowska. "So should I try to improve our town's communications or should I allow a memorial to that criminal to remain standing? The choice is simple for me."

Nazi Germany invaded Poland on September 1, 1939, triggering World War Two and beginning more than five years of occupation. Six million Poles died, including almost all of the country's three million Jewish citizens.

Not everybody in this town of 38,000 shared Kurowska's view that the tree must go.

"It was 1942 when the Germans brought a seedling of an oak here and planted it in the center of the town with all honors, an army orchestra and salutes," said Kazimierz Polak, who was present at the planting ceremony as a child 67 years ago.

"My father told me then that it was Hitler's birthday and we found out later the seedling had come from Braunau am Inn (in Austria) where Hitler was born," Polak said.

"It's a historic curiosity. What is the oak really guilty of? It's not the tree's fault that it was planted here to honor the biggest criminal and enemy of Poland."

JASLO, Poland (Reuters)"It's a historic curiosity. What is the oak really guilty of? It's not the tree's fault that it was planted here to honor the biggest criminal and enemy of Poland."
Tend to agree with the sentiment
I'm sure routing the road a few metres to the left or right won't provide the town planners with the biggest of headaches.

Couldn't they just change its name to the Memorial Tree, in honour of all the Polish fallen? What's in a name?

In my wifes hometown there is also a very large oak tree that was planted by the Nazi Party of the town to commemorate the birthday of Hitler. It is still standing.

I could care less, it is a tree. It is not like it says anything dedicating. The original memorial with the dedication was removed after WW2. I can however understand how some people would want these kind of things removed.

Its a tree. If someone has issues about its original dedication, spritz it with some holy water and rededicate it to the Polish underground or something similarly worthy.

They should cut that tree down and burn its roots before nazis spring from its blossoms.

Accept it as the history it is. A long time has past and a country shouldn't be able to just pick and choose what history it wants to preserve.

A large share of the Autobahns were built at Hitler's request...shouldn't they tear those out too?

A tree is a tree, it could care less who planted it. They should instead, let it live to show that the human spirit will always overcome adversity...keep the tree as a symbol for the survivors.

I saw a documentary on the buildings that were built during his time in power.
It surprised me how many things still existed in Germany that have direct links to him.
I can't remeber the name of the documentary but I saw it less than a year or two ago.

If the tree is really in the way it could possibly be moved.
I am thinking about how many palm trees are moved in California as an example.
Some of them are huge.

Wheels

They should cut that tree down and burn its roots before nazis spring from its blossoms.

Are you serious? ;) :lol:

I saw a documentary on the buildings that were built during his time in power.
It surprised me how many things still existed in Germany that have direct links to him.
I can't remeber the name of the documentary but I saw it less than a year or two ago.

If the tree is really in the way it could possibly be moved.
I am thinking about how many palm trees are moved in California as an example.
Some of them are huge.

Wheels

There is actually quite a bit of things here. Just in the area that I live in there are:

- Nazi Party Rally Grounds in Nurnberg
- Luitpold Arena in Nurnberg
- Zeppelinfeld in Nurnberg (where Hitler gave his speaches)
- Kongreßhalle in Nurnberg
- A foundation stone from the Deutsche Stadion (405,000 seat stadium) in Nurnberg
- SS Barracks in Nurnberg
- SS Barracks near Illesheim that is shaped like the Swastika (can only be seen from the air).

There is even a massive planted forest on the side of a large hill near where I live. The forest is shaped as an Iron Cross. It was planted under Hitlers orders during World War 2. I have some pictures when I flew over it one time. We used it as a check point when we were out flying.

Here is a good site that you can check out:

Third Reich in Ruins

Last edited:
I think it should be kept, so as to help us never forget what happened in WW2 and what this man and his followers cost the world. Maybe re-dedicate it for all those who died fighting Hitler's regime. Even something like this tree that was dedicated in Hitler's honor can be turned into something good that people can learn from.

Thanks for the link Chris! That is a great website. Very interesting to see the then and now pictures.

Does the Simon Wiesenthal Centre know about this tree? I think they'd give their right arm to bring this tree to justice. Personally, I'd be interested to hear what it had to say for itself, under oath.

That was acorny joke - see what I did there? acorn-y joke?
I'm wasted on you guys...

Does the Simon Wiesenthal Centre know about this tree? I think they'd give their right arm to bring this tree to justice. Personally, I'd be interested to hear what it had to say for itself, under oath.

:lol:

If the tree is really in the way it could possibly be moved. I am thinking about how many palm trees are moved in California as an example. Some of them are huge
Not so sure wheels_up
I'm no tree-ologist (I think they're called dendrologists, or maybe just gardeners)
but I seem to recall seeing somewhere that what you see above the ground for branches, is what you get below the ground for roots - almost like a mirror image, so to speak. I've no doubt these palms are huge but if you look at the profile above ground then what's below ground is going to be deep but not that spread out. I'd say a mature oak would be considerably more difficult to relocate on that basis.

That was one tough nut to crack! Have you ever considered getting to the root of your joke problem? Maybe branching out and leaf-ing puns for awhile? Bark up another tree, so to speak?

If it was cut down think of the money that could be made selling "authentic nazi oak toothpicks" or Ol' Uncle Adolphs World Famous BBQ Smoker Oak Chips; Ahhh the taste of Barbarossa in every bite.

I'm sucha capitalist. If Hitler captured me I'd surely be put to death.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back