Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No he wasn't!

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • No comment.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • This is stupid.

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well I don't think he was, at least not in WW1, what he did later was another thing.Sure most people wish he would have died then but from what I know he served pretty well during WW1.Twice decorated and promoted.But if this thread refers on his life after WW1 than he was the worst veteran.

Yeah, I'm not trying to diss the whatever bravery he showed in WWI, It's just his life after the wars I'm commenting on, his "veteran" years.

Nor am I trying to diss all German Veterans. Rommel was a brave and intelligent soldier already in WWI, taking mountains and towns, everyone admires the gallant Red Baron, and even Goring didn't do too bad, though somehow he lost some of his Aviation savyness when running the Luftwaffe in WWII.

Not making him out to be a 'good guy' in any way, but I can sort of understand some of his ideals.
He fought for his country as a common soldier in the first world war, and was even gassed (hence his personal vindiction not to use gases during WW II). His country lost the war, and he watched his country get torn apart by the Allies, with unbelievable tax rates as repayment for war costs, and chopping chunks off Germany, Austria and Hungary (the Hungarians lost a third of their country, including their coastal access and all natural resources. They were left with miles of flat pastureland, and Italy stole alot of the Tirol region of Austria at this time too). The currencies of Germany and Hungary collapsed, and the Austrian currency severly decreased in value as a result of the taxes, with a box of matches going for something like 600,000 Hungarian Pengő (a hitherto valuable currency), and people were starving everywhere.
I've often heard the opinion that the Allies practically forced the Axis countries into another war situation, as there was no way they could ever have repayed the 'debts' or improve their living standards.
I reckon if Hitler hadn't come along, someone else would have.

(I am not in any way endorsing his actions against the surrounding countries, of course, but I can appreciate though that he saw no other option.)

Yeah, I'm not trying to diss the whatever bravery he showed in WWI, It's just his life after the wars I'm commenting on, his "veteran" years.

Nor am I trying to diss all German Veterans. Rommel was a brave and intelligent soldier already in WWI, taking mountains and towns, everyone admires the gallant Red Baron, and even Goring didn't do too bad, though somehow he lost some of his Aviation savyness when running the Luftwaffe in WWII.

Well then I took the vote too early then, but A4K has a good point.

I believe he was a decent soldier in WWI. I believe he was so distraught that the war ended while he was in the hospital that he suffered "mental" blindness because he wanted to get back to the front.

Regardless of ideology, he was a loyal soldier.

He fought for his country as a common soldier in the first world war, and was even gassed (hence his personal vindiction not to use gases during WW II).

The germans did use gas against the soviets holed up in caves under the Adzhimushkai quarries in the Crimea in WW2, but this was without the knowledge of Hitler. There is also unconfirmed (and probably false) reports of gas bieng used at Brest-Litovsk in 1941 and against British paratroopers on D +1.

(the Hungarians lost a third of their country, including their coastal access and all natural resources.
Hungary historically has no claim to any coastal region. It has at points in the past had control over coastal regions of Croatia, but 3ethnic Magyars (Hungarians) live on the central Hungarian plain and the Transylvanian plateau, although they were largely removed by the Romanians 1945-1989. During world war one Hungary was a part of the Austrian Empire (although it enjoyed "duel monarchy" status) and thus technically had no territory at all in 1918.

I've often heard the opinion that the Allies practically forced the Axis countries into another war situation, as there was no way they could ever have repayed the 'debts' or improve their living standards.
I reckon if Hitler hadn't come along, someone else would have.

Yeah it is often said that the seeds of future conflict were sown at Versailles in 1919. Although the world recession of the 30s also had a big part to play in voters deciding to support extremists. Votes in germany for the Nazis and Communists increased greatly from 1929. But the shame of defeat was a major part of the German pysche in the inter war period.

Hitler: Worst Veteran of WWI????

If you read your history books, it's an obvious fact.

Hitler was a very good soldier during WW1, he did his duty

no doubt, so what!!! Fact is here, he was the greatest mentally ill person of the twentieth century.

An honourable mention might go to Field Marshall Petain who went from hero in WW1 to leader of a puppet gov't in Vichy

no doubt, so what!!! Fact is here, he was the greatest mentally ill person of the twentieth century.

If you actually live in France I can understand your reasoning, but I would say Stalin was much more insane or evil then Hitler.

If you actually read history books without bias you would say Hitler was a good soldier in WW1.

Deciding between Hitler and Stalin, that's a tough one. Technically, Stalin didn't fight in WW1 so he might get a hall pass on that one.

On the other hand, Hitler had the advantage (if it was in fact an advantage) of physical bravery. He was not a coward when it came to a battlefield. By most accounts, Stalin was. Stalin never got closer to the fighting than several miles when the fighting was outside of Moscow and he went to see it (car got stuck in the mud). Claimed he was at the front thereafter. Afraid of plots, afraid of flying (only flew once), the guy was a phsycological piece of work.

Both were paranoid, but Stalin's was probably to the greater degree. Both were both probably psychotic as well.

You are correct that he was a crazy mad man but I dont think that his WW1 and pre WW1 days can be counted against him. At that point in time he had not done anything wrong.

An honourable mention might go to Field Marshall Petain who went from hero in WW1 to leader of a puppet gov't in Vichy
Absolutely, Pétain was an hero during the first world war, he had save the france. But lost all honour with the Vichy government. The french collaboration it's not a secret and the Vichy's police (la milice) participated actively to deport of Jew.
It's not a coincidence if Pétain finished his life in prison. He died in prison.
We can't compare him with Hitler.He wasn't an antisemite.

If you actually read history books without bias you would say Hitler was a good soldier in WW1.
I don't call into question the military capacity of Hitler. I just said among the survivor of the WW1, it was the worst in comparison of consequence of his ideas on the World.

I don't call into question the military capacity of Hitler. I just said among the survivor of the WW1, it was the worst in comparison of consequence of his ideas on the World.

Vague thread title but all it asked was "Hitler the worse WW1 vet?"

I would say he was a good Vet for Germany by all standards in 1918. It was not until later did he go nuts/evil.

Just comparing person to person (regardless if they served or not), I still say Stalin was worse then Hitler.

Is is not being mentioned in this poll. He is being talked about totally differently from what this thread is about. As I have said already. Just so happens he is being mentioned, as a side subject, in this thread. No one has referred to him as a Vet of any war.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back