Hmmmmmm......todays movies...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Seen something for.....what was it....Pacific Rim, is that yet another Battleship...eeerrrmmm....thing? :lol:

When was that the last time, that you saw a trailer for a movie, thinking 'I've got to see this one'? I sure cant remember last time! :lol:

All the time.

In the last few years...

Skyfall
The Hobbit
Superman
Star Trek: Into Darkness

Every year good movies come out. Like I said, life went on past 1956...:)

Never noticed! :lol:
Seems though, that it's more up to the computers today than story in the movies...
Less 'Battleship' and more Lord of the Rings please! :lol:
Wonder when Die Hard 9 will be out, or Fast and Furious 11.....
These are getting boring with so much over the top exaggeration in what they do, when was there a decent, realistic car chase, a' la Bullitt, in a movie? :lol:
Vanishing Point wouldn't stand a chance today! :lol:

To my eye they rely too much on special effects and too little on acting these days. How else can Ben Afleck stay employed in the movie industry?

Never noticed! :lol:
Seems though, that it's more up to the computers today than story in the movies...
Less 'Battleship' and more Lord of the Rings please! :lol:
Wonder when Die Hard 9 will be out, or Fast and Furious 11.....
These are getting boring with so much over the top exaggeration in what they do, when was there a decent, realistic car chase, a' la Bullitt, in a movie? :lol:
Vanishing Point wouldn't stand a chance today! :lol:

Just don't watch stupid movies like Battleship and ****. I have not seen them, not do I plan on it.

There are however tons of good movies coming out every year. You have to move on Lucky! :lol: just because it was made post James Dean days, does not make it bad.

I guess I'm in the minority and I actually liked Battleship. The special effects were really good and the story was a good sci-fi story. The acting was decent as I've definitely seen worse, much worse!!! But that's just my opinion.

A new movie that I'm looking forward to is Red 2. If you haven't seen Red, check it out.

Just don't watch stupid movies like Battleship and ****. I have not seen them, not do I plan on it.

There are however tons of good movies coming out every year. You have to move on Lucky! :lol: just because it was made post James Dean days, does not make it bad.

James Dean's dead!!?? :shock:
Not to worry buddy, plan to see that 'The Hobbit' movie, at some point...
But we do need more movies of Das Boot quality, less Pearl Harbor etc. :lol:
Good thing one can fall back on Band of Brothers, The Pacific and the likes... :D

Now, where's my 'The General', now....there's a good action movie, if there ever was one! ;) :lol:

The thing I simply cannot stand, are all the remakes of the remakes...how many superman or spiderman movies do we have to suffer through before they discover something else to make money from?

There have been some really good movies come out in past years, though...but because of the shifting taste of the public, the days of good ol' fashioned swash-buckling, serious action movies that included good acting, are no longer a requirement.

Yeah... I do long for some character movies like Rear Window or North By Northwest. Awesome flicks.

But what about Life of Pie. That was PHENOMENAL. Loved that story.

Saw a good one on YouTube, The Battle of Hurtgen Forest. Stick with it. Not 5 star, but certainly is worth watching at least once.

A film I didn't like much... Pacific. Contrived. Cartoonish violence. And insulting to both American and Japanese soldiers. A mere shadow of Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers. It did have its moments, but the uber-violence fetish for the sake of film ruined it for me. Too bad. Those soldiers deserved much better. I liked The Thin Red Line much better. Well... not that much. The tall grass waving in the wind haunts me. Wonderful production.

Films are escapes, and as such I enjoyed Battleship and Pearl Harbor (to a degree), however I HAVE felt that a movie could have been done better after say reading the book it was based on. Cases in point: World War Z, while an entertaining movie (i believe) could have been made even better. Especially since I am of the opinion that the book would have been better as a high quality mini-series a-la Stephen King's "The Stand". Remember that one? The opposite is true of the Ray Kincella book "Shoeless Joe", which made for a much, much better movie. You may know it as "Field of Dreams".

Usually movies that are original ideas are decent....it's when it's the 5th or 6th movie in the series (exempt are James Bond and Harry Potter) or it's a remake that's when they get sh****

Concerning WWZ, I believe production was approaching the troubles of Apocalypse Now. I didn't mind it, but I hold the book in a much higher regard. There'll be a few stinkers this year, but I enjoyed Star Trek when it came out. Hangover part III wasn't bad either. The demograph for movie goers has changed, which will affect what gets played, but there are still deep story driven movies out there(Lincoln).

Pretty much the same with telly today, especially Discovery, History and the National Geographic channels. Never seen so much sh*te on these channels before...reality shows that reach new lows of silly, stupid and embarrassing. Motorcycle gang that's not even real and the lastest joke Amish Mafia, wtf!? Nowadays, these three channels has about as much credit, respect as those 24 hour shopping channels! :lol:
Glad that I don't work for either, I'd be too embarrassed to admit if I did! :lol:
DVD player is going warm and books are getting worn thin!

I was watching the Animal Planet the other day and saw that they have a show on there called Treehouse Builders or something like that...WTF does that have to do with animals?

And History channel has some stupid sh!t like Swamp people or whatever...what a waste. At least H2 (history channel) has some really cool shows on (still). Perhaps that's why they had to create a second history channel, to show the historical stuff that got bumped off the primary channel...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back