Hobby Boss 1/32 Spitfire Mk.V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rogerpit

Recruit
Jul 18, 2012
I am about to start the Hobby Boss 1/32 Spitfire Mk.V and I know there are some inherent problems which I need to correct. My question is - Does anyone make a replacement (aftermarket) set for the spinner and prop?

Thanks!

Not the spinner and prop.

HpH do a correction set for the real howlers in the kit, the windscreen and mysteriously one side fabric covered horizontal stabilisers. The set also includes flaps, cockpit door and crow bar, wheel hubs and resin inserts to make the correct internally armoured windscreen fit.

IMG_0807_zps0bbde9ba.gif

I've just fitted the stabilisers and windscreen to my current build and the fit and casting of the parts is very good. I've used the kit parts for the hood and rear canopy as the clear resin parts are a little 'heavy'. That's my only criticism.
You also get a full set of masks (inside and out).

Some of the resin

IMG_0832_zps1127c602.gif

The clear parts

IMG_0833_zps83a325af.gif

Fitting the internally armoured screen

IMG_0834_zps516a9d82.gif

Cheers

Steve

That looks nice Wurger.

It doesn't fix the windscreen which for me was the most obvious problem with the kit parts. The kit, or at least the one I have, only has an externally armoured windscreen which is incorrect for any tropicalised Mk.Vb and most other Vbs. It's also a VERY obvious error which would annoy me every time I looked at the model!

I'm okay with the kit spinner and the blades aren't too bad. If you just want a better spinner and blades then Grey Matter Figures did one for about a fiver.

I've also gone with the kit wheels (not great) and tyres (horrible 'rubber', one of my pet hates). Barracuda do nice resin wheels if you can't bear the kit ones.

I've chosen to overlook some of the incorrectly shaped and sized 'bumps and lumps' :)

The problem is that you can invest so much in bits and pieces to improve the kit that you get to a point where you might as well have stumped up for a Tamiya kit in the first place.

Cheers

Steve

Or sell-on the HB kit, and look out for the old Hasegawa MkV, which is still good after 40 years.

It's not bad at all, but it's a bit sparse on the inside, so someone will want a resin interior. Then it also has dodgy wheels to fix, another set to buy. Most of the other bits are fixable, but there's always room for improvement. The question really is where do you draw the line?

About five or six years ago, when I realised I was never going to win the lottery, I made a conscious decision to build what was in the box and not keep spending money on after market bits, apart from decals. I don't mind a bit of scratch building, but it has to be fairly simple, brake lines or things like that.

The HpH set I bought for the Hobbyboss Spitfire virtually doubled the price of the model (including shipping) so I hope it wasn't one step at the top of a slippery slope :)

Cheers

Steve

Yes, it's a bit low on detail content, compared to 'today's' kits, but can easily be embellished, and it looks like a Spit V.
I must admit, apart from one I converted to a MkXIV, I wasn't too bothered about the wheels, and used the kit items on the other two, done as a MkIX and a MkI. Got another one to do - as a MkV this time!
And yes, it's easy to 'go overboard' on after-market 'bits and pieces' ! I try not to, unless it's absolutely required due to my hands being unable to cope with some of the more complex scratch-building.

Won't be going over the top with mine when I eventually get to it, did get replacement horizontal stabs though...good to know there are extra bits around for the corrections.

Very wise indeed. You have to draw the line somewhere. The Hobbyboss kit is not bad in itself but as with any kit you could go on correcting this and that or replacing various bits until you arrive at what you might consider a better Spitfire, only to find you've burnt a serious hole in your pocket :)
Really, as Airframe said of the Hasegawa kit, it looks like a Spitfire out of the box.
Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back