Hogan's Heroes.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

meatloaf109

1st Lieutenant
Jan 1, 2012
north carolina
One of my all-time favorite silly sit-coms and I was curious. They used many vehicles in the series and called them German. Now, I know about the M-4 Priest that they called a "tiger" in the first season, that one was easy. But I was more interested in a truck that shows up in several episodes, specifically season 3 first episode, a truck that has two small "windshields". They used this truck many times throughout the series. I am sure that this is not an American, and was wondering if it was a U.K. truck.
Can you I.D. any other equipment? Any other thoughts on the series are also welcomed.

morris-commercial .possibly a cs8 many where left behind in france and reused by the germans so historically accurate

Not HH, but a bit of trivia I found out about the Great Escape....... the Scrounger was a Davidson!

On July 6th 1940, Pilot Officer Barry Davidson landed his flak riddled Blenheim on a beach in France after bombing his target, with no compass he thought it was an English beach. He wasn't liberated until May 2, 1945. It was his first mission and he had less than 50 hours in his log book. The Blenheim aircraft in the Bomber Command Museum has been restored in memory of Barry and carries the RAF markings of the aircraft he flew.

Hope you don't mind me posting this bit on your thread Paul...........

Paul, did the truck look similar to this?
There were a number of versions, one of which had two, separate, small windscreens. It is a Morris, as mentioned previously, and also built in Canada, as well as the UK. Can't remember much of Hogan's Heroes, as I only ever saw one or two episodes.
The Morris, being very 'angular', had a German look about it, and was often used to portray a German truck in movies of the 1950s, 1960s and early 1970s and, as already mentioned, captured examples were quite widely used by German forces, particularly in North Africa.

Attachments

• Elvington 165.jpg
    Elvington 165.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 610
Airframes...Your pic is a Cab 13 Chev CMP 15 CWT, but with an extended cab. The windshield is also tipped up straighter. Maybe a post-war modification?
Any Morris army truck I ever saw depicted looked very different to your picture.

Oops! You're quite correct! The pic I should have posted, I now can't find! The truck I'm thinking of was also produced in a 4 x 4 version, known as the Morris Quad, which came in various body styles, including the well-known tractor used to tow the 25lb Field Gun and its limber. Like the truck posted, it's angular in shape, even more so. I'll post the pic when I find it, or, failing that, scan one from a book.

Here's a few pics from the show I pulled off the internet. First one is the truck I think Paul is talking about. The second one is a Ford truck, around 1948-50. The last one is a Dodge Power Wagon.

Attachments

• i524128.jpg
    i524128.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 814
  • i524130.jpg
    i524130.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 878
  • photoShow018goldTruck.jpg
    photoShow018goldTruck.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 534
OK,I see what's wrong with the CMP picture. It is distorted! The wheels aren't round, the pic is stretched horizontally, making it look stretched. It's not.

OK,I see what's wrong with the CMP picture. It is distorted! The wheels aren't round, the pic is stretched horizontally, making it look stretched. It's not.
It looks fine on my monitor, and in the original shots I took at Elvington (Yorkshire Air Museum) last year. Wheels are round, overall shape not distorted.
I'd need to check to be definitely sure, but I think this example is a British-built Canadian pattern vehicle, and as you probably know, there were a number of body/cab styles, and variations.

Last edited:
Airframes...There were no "British-built Canadian pattern" trucks, all were made by GM and Ford in Canada and shipped to England, Australia, India, Africa, etc. That was a big part of Canada's contribution to the cause.

Yep, you're correct. Checked the details, and this example was Canadian built - my error and apologies.
However, various versions of both the CMP / Chevrolet trucks were fitted with British-designed and built cabs and / or bodies once in the UK, for example, variations of the A/T and artillery tractor. Still Canadian built, by GM or Ford, but modified or converted as required.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back