Hope, Faith and Cheritry

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Heck, I must be cracking up - I read 'Gibraltar' as 'Malta' !
Yes, there were more than just three Sea Gladiators, even though the final three and a half of these venerable biplanes put up a good fight.

And wouldn't that be Malta?

Yup, and the third one was "Charity".

Yep, so much fail from the thread starter.

And here is what is left of "Faith" in the Takali museum.

1526321639_b0da283b5f_z.jpg

1527189580_2bc2bf193a_z.jpg

1527189682_1e2ab350ab_z.jpg

Basically true - the final three airframes which were named by the media were more or less cobbled together by canibalising the other Gladiators on the island, to keep them going. I do believe the names stuck though, and were used at the time.
But, getting back to the thread. Why was this posted in this section in the first place? No pics, no request for pics, just a statement!

Thanks Terry. Now that you said that I d remember the cannabalism. Will look for some pics.

Attachments

• dp0190.jpg
    dp0190.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 162
  • gladiators.jpg
    gladiators.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 155
  • Sea-Gladiator_Faith.jpg
    Sea-Gladiator_Faith.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 196
  • dhm1892.jpg
    dhm1892.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
In the book about these babes, alledgedly the names Blood, Sweat and Tears were touted, and when one of the Glad's had a few extra guns mounted in an attempt to increase the hitting power, it was named the 'Bloodiator !

Why was this posted in this section in the first place? No pics, no request for pics, just a statement!

It might have been because the starter had to put away a book about the defence of the Malta and leave somewhere. Then he has forgotten about the thread.

Last edited:
I think there is a fair old bit of embelishment been added to the Faith Hope and Charity legend three old Gladiators are not really a viable air defence, but they did their bit for a short time. What really saved Malta was the convoys that stopped the Islands (dont forget Gozo) from starving and more importantly running out of aviation fuel and ammo, and the carriers that flew off the early fighter group to give the Islands a chance however even that did not stop Malta from being the most consistantly bombed place of WW2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back