Horst Petzschler's Bf109G6/AS Black 14 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Moose

Airman
Feb 6, 2023
In the course of researching the correct markings for Horst Petzschler's all-blue Bf 109G6/AS "Black 14" of 2./JGIII, I came across information by Sir Ernie Hamilton Boyette (who interviewed Petzschler and did illustrations of his aircraft) that indicates Petzschler had been assigned two different "Black 14s".
The first was flown when Horst downed a B-17, B-24, and two P-51s in May of '44. When he was shot down and returned to his unit, he was assigned a second Black-14. He only flew this one a few times before leaving for another tour in Russia. It's this second "Black 14" in the photograph, (Wk-Nr 412179) in which his friend and fellow pilot Otto Bussow was killed.
What I can't find is the Wk-Nr of the first Black 14, photographs, or information on the markings. Seems 412179 is the one everyone's familiar with and models are built around, but not the one That shot down two bombers and two mustangs.
What I HAVE found are a lot of differences in people's interpretations of the markings of 412179: Crosses on and under the wings of black outline, no fill; white outline no fill, white with black fill; plain black, no outline. Even differences of the fuselage crosses, and the number 14. I've seen dozens of illustrations, and probably more than a dozen models. There seems to be no consensus.
From a written description by Boyette, I'm inclined to go with simple black crosses on all surfaces, no outline. Then there's the question of yellow chin, or not. And... were the markings of both aircraft the same, or different?

Looking for any help here.
Messerschmitt-Bf-109G10AS-Erla-2.JG3-Black-14-Horst-Petzschler-WNr-412179-Germany-May-1944-01....jpg

Here two shots of other G6/AS kites. It can be noticed that both of them wore the standard LW markings. Unfortunately the tops of the wings aren't visible and that's difficult to state what kind of LW crosses were applied. But Germens tried to avoid the dark colours for the markingsat the end of the war rather than the white. So IMHO the top crosses got the form of the white parts only. The image of the "Black 14" is of very poor quality and scanned so many times could have lost many details. If we compare the tone of the whole plane to the tone of the spiral on the spinner ( it was white I would say ) there is no difference. As a result the white outline of the fuselage cross and the tail swastika could be unnoticeable. Regarding the yellow underside of the engine cowling. It wouldn't be of the coat rather. The two kites in the pics below didn't have them painted at the way.

G6AS_1.jpg

G6AS_2.jpg

the source: What are the differences between BF-109 G models and G/AS models?

Here two shots of other G6/AS kites. It can be noticed that both of them wore the standard LW markings. Unfortunately the tops of the wings aren't visible and that's difficult to state what kind of LW crosses were applied. But Germens tried to avoid the dark colours for the markingsat the end of the war rather than the white. So IMHO the top crosses got the form of the white parts only. The image of the "Black 14" is of very poor quality and scanned so many times could have lost many details. If we compare the tone of the whole plane to the tone of the spiral on the spinner ( it was white I would say ) there is no difference. As a result the white outline of the fuselage cross and the tail swastika could be unnoticeable. Regarding the yellow underside of the engine cowling. It wouldn't be of the coat rather. The two kites in the pics below didn't have them painted at the way.

View attachment 705827

View attachment 705828
the source: What are the differences between BF-109 G models and G/AS models?
One thing that's sticking with me, is the description of the markings of Petzschler's "Black 14" from an interview with him done by Boyette:
"The crosses on the wings and the sides were simple basic black with no trim. The swastika was also painted a simple black with no outlines of white. Horst had the JG 3 Udet squadron shield in red and white on the cowling and the spinner was in a spiral black and white design, which was quite typical of many of the German fighters. His aircraft was officially a Bf 109G-6 AS, W Nr 412179, of 2./JG 3."

One thing that's sticking with me, is the description of the markings of Petzschler's "Black 14" from an interview with him done by Boyette:
"The crosses on the wings and the sides were simple basic black with no trim. The swastika was also painted a simple black with no outlines of white. Horst had the JG 3 Udet squadron shield in red and white on the cowling and the spinner was in a spiral black and white design, which was quite typical of many of the German fighters. His aircraft was officially a Bf 109G-6 AS, W Nr 412179, of 2./JG 3."

The quoted description seems to be correct if the Petzschler's memories are accurate. You know the memories fade in time. Anyway I can't see any problems with that. If it is stated the fuselage crosses and those at the wing tops were the black without the white trim, it is what you should stick to.

I was just hoping there might be another photo somewhere of that aircraft for verification, or the "other" Black 14. Or even other all-blue G6/ASs from specifically 2./JG III.

I interviewed Horst personally and at some length with his short duration in JG 3. AS version had no yellow under cowling. and yes in Priens work are several b/w pics of AS 109's from the gruppe which first had all black spinners later with white spiralschnauze. balkenkreuz on the fuselage was not outlined.

Thank you very much.
Yes, I thought there was not a yellow chin, despite some illustrations to the contrary. Thanks for verifying the fuselage cross. Any idea of the markings on the top and underside of the wings?
It must've been interesting to interview Horst. I'm envious

a different craft a G-10 of 4./NJG 11 a night fighter unit. foto mine. craft is all blue-gray. 1945.
Yes. I've seen pictures of this one, and white 44 as well.

Attachments

• FassbergG-10JYL.jpg
    FassbergG-10JYL.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 21

Users who are viewing this thread

Back