Horten

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Royal Aeronautical Society had troubles too, I wonder whats is wrong with Reimar surname.

2vmxe37.jpg

Thanks, I just find them an interesting subject. Interestly they are talking about tailless airliners as more fuel efficient, although aren't they harder to control and fly in an engine-out situation or during a systems failure?

No, if they lose power from the engines they can glide to earth better than a normal aircraft. The Horten Brothers were great when it came to building flying wings. The crash of the Ho-229 V2 prototype are still a mystery if you take why the pilot did not just glide the aircraft to earth, they think he passed out. I think it would be great if they could build a airliner that is a all wing aircraft.

No actually flying wing aircraft are more difficult to fly. That is why they were not successful until the advent of Fly By Wire technology. There is a thread here were we discussed it all.

It is actually known by both names. While the Horton Brothers may have invented it. Gotha was the company that actually produced it. That is why I put both names. I will try and troll through what I have but if anyone else has any pictures they would like to post...

It is actually known by both names. While the Horton Brothers may have invented it. Gotha was the company that actually produced it.

In no way this aircraft woulf have received a Gotha designation, Gotha was only the manufacturer (contractor, license built). This aircraft would have received the constructors designation Ho 229 (as seen on Kurt Tank's Focke-Wulf Fw 190 derivative Ta 152 or the Hütter project of the He 219).

No actually flying wing aircraft are more difficult to fly. That is why they were not successful until the advent of Fly By Wire technology. There is a thread here were we discussed it all.

Adler I am not fighting you here I just go on what I know and have read. As far as I read the Ho-229 were not difficult to handle and did actually great if you take that it is a flying wing. Do you know something I do not? Adler do maybe know where I can find the thread about the fly-by wire?

I must say I as well do not know if they would have changed the name to Gotha 229, but that is what I have read and it said that it would have happend after it reached production, but as far as I know the Gotha company came in to help the Horten brothers produce the aircraft or the contract to produce the aircraft were given to Gotha. I have also read that the Gotha guys corrected some design flaws in the Ho-229, but I think that is bull.

I will always call it Horten Ho-229 not just in honour of the designers but because that is what the RLM documents said.

HealzDevo mate you spell it Horten and not Horton, do not worry I have done it myself in the past.

Adler I am not fighting you here I just go on what I know and have read. As far as I read the Ho-229 were not difficult to handle and did actually great if you take that it is a flying wing. Do you know something I do not?

Dont worry, we are all learning here.

Do to its small size it would have been easier than anything like the B-2 or whatever, but once you took the power away from the Ho-229 such as in loss of engines than it would have become more difficult to fly the aircraft. That has allways been a problem with flying wing aircraft.

Henk said:
Adler do maybe know where I can find the thread about the fly-by wire?

I did just a quick search and here is the one that I found for you.

Aircraft flight control systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Henk said:
I must say I as well do not know if they would have changed the name to Gotha 229, but that is what I have read and it said that it would have happend after it reached production, but as far as I know the Gotha company came in to help the Horten brothers produce the aircraft or the contract to produce the aircraft were given to Gotha. I have also read that the Gotha guys corrected some design flaws in the Ho-229, but I think that is bull.

The Horton brothers designed the aircraft but did not have there own company in that sense to build the aircraft so the RLM gave the contract to someone to build it. It could have been Arado or Messerschmitt for all we care. The contract was given to Gotha to build but the aircraft was still Hortons design. Therefore she would have recieved the name Ho-229, not Go-229 just like the Focke-Wulf Ta-152. It is given the Ta for Tank who was the designer.

Thanks Adler.

Yes, I agree, even if you look at the NASM where they have the story about the Ho-229 they also call it the Horten 229 and they proof their stuff throught the interviews the museum did with the Horten brothers years ago that they have on caset tape. I wish I could get the transcrips of those interviews.

Two complete outer wings for the Ho-229 v-3 were discovered at the Firma Orlapp Ffriedrichroda.The fuel was carried completely in its outer wings.Seen inside the wings at its wing root are silver objects one of several fuel tanks.
Horten Ho IX V2 constion.jpg
Horten Ho IX V2 construcao.jpg
horten-229-v3-flying-wing-.jpg
horten ho-229 wing 2.jpg
horten ho-229 wing.jpg
Horten Ho 229 v6.jpg

Attachments

• Horten Ho IX V2 constion.2.jpg
    Horten Ho IX V2 constion.2.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 569
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread