How about a little flip-flop (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's alright Drgondog..."we're all a shade of idiot..I'm a darker shade of idiot than most people!" as my great-grandpa used to say. MikeGazdik is right; I was talking about the engineering and craftsmanship of the Germans. I'm sorry I posted it wrongly. :cry:

I must add (because I just read it!) it was a German scientist who solved the P-38's (in)famous flutter and transonic flow/separation problems.

BTW...By priority on tech, I was thinking of the planes you mentioned (and the "black projects" you didn't).

Thanks, MikeGazdik-I hope I learn from every one on the forum!

It's alright Drgondog..."we're all a shade of idiot..I'm a darker shade of idiot than most people!" as my great-grandpa used to say. MikeGazdik is right; I was talking about the engineering and craftsmanship of the Germans. I'm sorry I posted it wrongly. :cry:

Germans have always had excellent engineers and craftsmen. They didn't have a monopoly on engineers and surely could not compete with US production capability - all by itself, much less keep up with Allies

I must add (because I just read it!) it was a German scientist who solved the P-38's (in)famous flutter and transonic flow/separation problems.

Which one did you have in mind working for Kelley Johnson? The flutter solution was pretty straightforward by simply adding fillets to the wing/fuselage interfaceand once isolated the transonic flow issue was solved with a hinged drop flap.

So specifically which German scientist solved the problem at Lockheed? Was he a consultant on loan from Hitler or an American w/German heritage?

BTW...By priority on tech, I was thinking of the planes you mentioned (and the "black projects" you didn't).

AFAIK the only program in the US that fits the title 'Black Project' was the Manhattan Project. Many projects labeled Top Secret but only that one reported directly to Joint Chiefs of Staff/White House.

What do you have in mind?

Thanks, MikeGazdik-I hope I learn from every one on the forum!

What was your source (book, webpage) for the German scientist at Lockheed? Or Ames where Lockheed did large scale wind tunnel tests?

You can make that double MikeGazdik, for us the guys in a learning process, knowledgeable gentlemen like Drgondog, Erich and others here in the forum are a treasure of knowledge which have help me and many of us I'm sure to understand many aspects of military aviation in WWII.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back