How do you keep your speed up when climbing?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Soundbreaker Welch?

Tech Sergeant
Feb 8, 2006
Colorado, USA
I find it really pretty hard to do in several planes, often when I'm climbing, my speed slows down to 200 mph or even 150 mph very fast. Any way to prevent that?

Really depends on the aircraft, some you can employ WEP or boost, etc.

Best thing is to avoid pulling the nose up too steep, but rather keep it in a gradual climb, if possible. You'll find that some aircraft, like the Fw190 will climb fairly fast if you keep the climb to a moderate angle.

A spiralling climb can also bleed off a good amount of speed, so try and ease up on the ruddar and try a shallow bank, instead.

Before I start the climb, I go full throttle and engage WEP. I wait for the airspeed to reach a certain level and then that's when I begin climbing. In that way, when I level off at the altitude that I wanted to reach, I still retain my original cruising speed, thanks to the ample airspeed that came from WEP when I began my climb.

I find it really pretty hard to do in several planes, often when I'm climbing, my speed slows down to 200 mph or even 150 mph very fast. Any way to prevent that?

SBW - in real life, this.... Is real life. Mustangs best climb speed to altitude for fuel consumption was around 150kt IAS.

Isaac Newton described it well.. Games? who knows?

With the Bf 109 you can climb at 260Km IAS and maintain pretty good forward travel as well. In a gunfight If I'm not diving I am climbing and it seems like the P 51D has that market cornered. The FW 190 is also an exceptional climber. You can use a banking climb in the FW 190 to beat those pesky Spit's.

A couple things; First, try to start out with decent airspeed. Second, set your climb angle so as not to be too steep. Third, trim your aircraft as much as you can to limit the manual control input (also, do NOT use your flaps. They allow a steeper angle, but create more drag).

In real warbirds, it's common to use a finer prop-pitch to climb as well, but it's modeled somewhat peculiarly in this sim so you don't always benefit from this application.

To answer your question more directly, no there isn't much else you can do.

Thanks, guy!

Just wondering, what buttons do you use to trim a plane in the game if using a keyboard? . (Silly question I know, but I'm not as good at mechanical flying.)

I have noticed the horizontal stabilizer button, is that it? I was kinda wondering if it actually hurt mobility, and wouldn't let you climb as well, maybe not.

Also, how many trims are there? Are there engine trims?

"Horizontal Stabilizer" button is only applicable in certain bombers (to use when starting bombing runs and allowing pilots the ability to use the bombsight or occupy a gunner's seat AND not worry about having to fly the aircraft. Sort of like an autopilot, but only works in some bombers.

There are many trim options available, but the only ones you really need to apply are rudder and elevator. You can program them onto your keyboard any way you like, but, for me, the easiest way was to set them to the up/down and left/right arrows (i.e. the up arrow, for up elevator trim, down arrow for down elevator trim, left arrow for left rudder trim, right arrow for right rudder trim). I have trim set to a couple of my rotaries now, but if I had to use the keyboard, that's how I'd do it.

Aileron trim is helpful, but not as significant or necessary as the other two IMO. Also, understand that trim is something that constantly requires adjustment. As your speed increases or decreases, you'll need to always be trimming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back